Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever attempted this? I have been thinking about trying it. I did it on my civic some years back and its pretty simple just a lot of wiring. I had to get a converter for the speed sensor and the gas gauge but it worked great. Wouldn't it just be the same for our cars with just different wiring? Still a 12volt system...

What do you guys think?

Here's a pic of the cluster in case you guys are unfamiliar with the design and looks.

Ap1

Ap2

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shape is very different. I don't know how you'd get it to fit properly.
Yea on my civic I just made a Bezel out of tinted glass and custom fabbed some brackets. That's the easy part. I'm more concerned about the wiring part. I'm somewhat of a wire whore so I can do it, just don't know how the circuits are in the 3k's

·
General & A/V Moderator
7,249 Posts
I dont see the advantage, but if you want the Starship Enterprise experience then go for it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Also interested if you try this!

·
Registered
599 Posts
keys words "on my civic":moon2:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
keys words "on my civic":moon2:
Lol yea but like I said it's all wiring. The crucial part is getting the temp, gas, and mph to work. At least that's how it was on my civic. Everything else is just ran off 12v signal. The speedo i think is a pulse or something like that. I can figure it out just gotta do some hard research.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nice one, thought an EVO especially the later one is nothing like a 3s when it comes to sensors.
I'm planning to make my own cluster for my own dash and I love the retro future digital style the S2000 has, but a few pointers do come up.

With the K-Tuned s2000 converter unit we require a new coolant Temp sensor, our stock one is above the 3.3V limit of the K-Tuned unit. (up to 4.6Volt~ @ -49°F, 0V @ 284°F) Not a big one, but one requires to start using adapters in stock location with a new sensor or buy a universal insert into the radiator coolant hose with a new (K-tuned) sensor.

For the speedo The "Tall" tire of the K-Tuned converter is a 205/50/R15 - 23" Tire. MAX compensation is 25%. Our Stock tires for VR4 are 245/45/R17 - 25.7" ~11.3% increase, some bigger tires up to 13% to what some people run for tires. Having additional ~10% wiggle room sounds like a lot, but we don't know the gear ration which the k-tuned unit considers a base signal to convert. We might end up with another VSS converter in row, or straight out go for a Dakota unit and not a k-tuned one and figure out something else for the coolant temp. (Another converter...)

The RPM tach will require a Dakota universal unit or similar converter for 6 to 4cyl signal.

Getting these basic things to run alone will cost you around ~400-550$ without the cluster. Getting most indicator / Warning lights to work is no big issue since those are simply either ground or power switched by sensors or switches for our 3scluster. (Except 2 with a diode on the green back plane indicated but wiring in a diode is no issue) and so seems the s2000 cluster.

But I'm hard pressed to not opt for a clean aftermarket gauge setup, kind of what is currently shown here in the forums. For starters, universal gauges that match doesn't require 2-3 converters to run since those are build in. And from a price point, The s2000 cluster with an average going rate for a used unit, the conversation might come around 800-1000$ in parts and supplies.....

And in the 1000$ range you might just spend slightly more and end up with a full free programmable cluster like the AIM MX Strada unit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice one, thought an EVO especially the later one is nothing like a 3s when it comes to sensors.
I'm planning to make my own cluster for my own dash and I love the old digital style the S2000 has, but a few pointers come up.

With the K-Tuned s2000 converter unit we require a new coolant Temp sensor, our stock one is above the 3.3V limit of the K-Tuned unit. (up to 4.6Volt~ @ -49°F, 0V @ 284°F) Not a big one, but one requires to start using adapters in stock location with a new sensor or buy a universal insert into the radiator coolant hose with a new (K-tuned) sensor.

The "Tall" tire of the K-Tuned converter is a 205/50/R15 - 23" Tire. MAX compensation is 25%. Our Stock tires for VR4 are 245/45/R17 - 25.7" ~11.3% increase - up to 13% to what some people run for tires. Having additional ~10% wiggle room sounds like a lot, but we don't know the gear ration which the k-tuned unit considers a base signal to convert. We might end up with another VSS converter in row, or straight out go for a Dakota unit and not a k-tuned one and figure out something else for the coolant temp. (Another converter...)

The RPM tach will require a Dakota universal unit or similar converter for 6 to 4cyl signal.

Getting these basic things to run alone will net you around ~400-550$ spend without the cluster. Getting most indicator / Warning lights to work is no big issue since those are simply either ground or power switched by sensors or switches in our 3scluster. (Except 2 with a diode on the green back plane indicated but wiring in a diode is no issue) and so seems the s2000 cluster.

But I'm hard pressed to not opt for a clean aftermarket gauge setup, kind of what is currently shown here in the forums. For starters, universal gauges that match doesn't require 2-3 converters to run since those are build in. And from a price point, The s2000 cluster with an average going rate for a used unit, the conversation might come around 800-1000$ in parts and supplies.....

And in the 1000$ range you might just spend slightly more and end up with a full free programmable cluster like the AIM MX Strada unit.
I understand the price but ima trade some 3000gt interior for the s2k cluster so that will knock 250-300 off the price i honestly just love the cluster that’s why ima do it and I appeichieat all the info when I finish the cluster I will try to do a write up

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you have obd2 (or get chrome to get obd2) then get a obd2 bluetooth adaptor, then a tablet, and install real dash. They have the s2000 cluster and many many more, and works great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts