Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
92_Stealth_ES said:
How many people on the board are doin it? i was thinkin just runnin it mufflerless but not sure if that would cause any problems. Thanks
works fine. runs better...

·
Deal with it
3,129 Posts
Wont cause any problems at all, that is unless you have dog ears. Some ppl dont like how loud it is, but I say fuck that...I'm doing it soon!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have the mufflerless exhaust (with 2.25 inch piping back) and it sounds really good, i wish it were just a little quieter, but overall its not annoying at all. To those who aren't used to it, it's pretty loud, but it's not near as loud as you'd think. I think that if you don't like the low-end loss you feel with the test pipe, yet don't want the high-end loss with the cat in, take the muffler out, I think it's the perfect combo of low and high end.. mated with some headers I think it'd sound and feel awesome :)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
blkstealth said:
I have the mufflerless exhaust (with 2.25 inch piping back) and it sounds really good, i wish it were just a little quieter, but overall its not annoying at all. To those who aren't used to it, it's pretty loud, but it's not near as loud as you'd think. I think that if you don't like the low-end loss you feel with the test pipe, yet don't want the high-end loss with the cat in, take the muffler out, I think it's the perfect combo of low and high end.. mated with some headers I think it'd sound and feel awesome :)
should have gone 2.5 inch pipes...

its pretty loud at crusing speeds... its worth it. sounds ungodly with a frontpipe/testpipe/no muffler combo... ill be posting video of my car so you guys can hear/see it in action this week... gotta wait for my buddy to get back to school... i feel no low end loss with a test pipe. however, i really dont hit my powerband till 4k rpms.

·
-
6,794 Posts
There is a big myth that N/A cars need some backpressure or they will lose low end torque. It is a myth! A lot of the well respected N/A performance people like WICKEDREW had a big debate in another thread a while ago. The fact is, less exhaust restriction means more power and better gas mileage. The only thing that degrades is the ability to pass emissions, and a cat should be all you need to do that. I'm going to run a downpipe, testpipe, and straight pipes to tips with no mufflers. I've heard it sounds great!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
TajMan_17 said:
There is a big myth that N/A cars need some backpressure or they will lose low end torque. It is a myth! A lot of the well respected N/A performance people like WICKEDREW had a big debate in another thread a while ago. The fact is, less exhaust restriction means more power and better gas mileage. The only thing that degrades is the ability to pass emissions, and a cat should be all you need to do that. I'm going to run a downpipe, testpipe, and straight pipes to tips with no mufflers. I've heard it sounds great!
god, its not really a myth... your car will get slower on the low end. its a fact. ive proven that with my car. i had my cat off, and i got beat by a riced out civic... all because i had no power down low. even now, my power band doesnt hit till about 4k rpms and it shows that on my dyno sheet too. power up top does not feel THAT much more significant. and i dont want to hear you guys "well wicked drew did this... drew did that..." bottom line is not every car is drew's car. his is a freak. if it wasnt, why are people with the same/more mods running worse times?

·
-
6,794 Posts
vr-4wannabe said:

god, its not really a myth... your car will get slower on the low end. its a fact. ive proven that with my car. i had my cat off, and i got beat by a riced out civic... all because i had no power down low. even now, my power band doesnt hit till about 4k rpms and it shows that on my dyno sheet too. power up top does not feel THAT much more significant. and i dont want to hear you guys "well wicked drew did this... drew did that..." bottom line is not every car is drew's car. his is a freak. if it wasnt, why are people with the same/more mods running worse times?
Oh, so you proved it by losing to a civic. Well in that case. :rolleyes:

This has nothing to do with drews car being a factory freak. Do we really need to start a whole new argument on this. Untill you show us some dyno sheets of BEFORE and AFTER that proves you lose low end power on MULTIPLE cars, I'll still believe the guys with a little more experience and knowledge. Bottom line is, less restriction means more power.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
TajMan_17 said:

Oh, so you proved it by losing to a civic. Well in that case. :rolleyes:

This has nothing to do with drews car being a factory freak. Do we really need to start a whole new argument on this. Untill you show us some dyno sheets of BEFORE and AFTER that proves you lose low end power on MULTIPLE cars, I'll still believe the guys with a little more experience and knowledge. Bottom line is, less restriction means more power.
this is not an argument, its a debate. there is no name calling here and i really hope it doesnt turn into that.

i will prove it when i go dyno. dont know when that will be, but ill be sure to do before and after... it doesnt does it? will any car gain 4mph from removing the cat? why doesnt everyone just do that then? why are there 1000 dollar exhausts?oh, i see... its because the manufacturers are complete morons because they are adding restrictions.

·
-
6,794 Posts
vr-4wannabe said:

this is not an argument, its a debate. there is no name calling here and i really hope it doesnt turn into that.

i will prove it when i go dyno. dont know when that will be, but ill be sure to do before and after... it doesnt does it? will any car gain 4mph from removing the cat? why doesnt everyone just do that then? why are there 1000 dollar exhausts?oh, i see... its because the manufacturers are complete morons because they are adding restrictions.
$1,000 dollar exhausts are optimized for max flow, I.E. mandrel bends for LESS RESTRECTION, as well as being tuned for a specific sound, and made out of a lighter material that will not rust out. You don't see aftermarket companies producing exhausts with a smaller diameter piping for more low end power. :rolleyes: Every one you find out there will have larger piping, less bends, and a higher flowing muffler. All for less restriction and more power.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
but you just said that open downpipe is THE BEST way to go did you not? you and other members have said that it produces HUGE gains. bullshit, it doesnt. why do you feel the need to dispute what my car does? it gains NO power whatsoever. NONE. its slow as crap, and it feels like a turd. it will show NO power gains. infact, ill put 50 bucks up that when i dyno, there will be NO power gain in the low end. infact, there will be LESS. with nitrous however, there could be a huge difference... hmm im going to try that.

now shut up you, you have an auto. :p

·
Deal with it
3,129 Posts
You got beat by a civic because your cat was off? No here is my theory on that:

You say your powerband doesnt hit til 4k. Ok thats believable. But let me ask you. In a race, why and when, besides at launch in the beginning of 1st gear, are you ever below 4k? Maybe thats why you lost the race. Take that fucker to redline or abouts and shift. rpms should fall to just about 4k. And if your cat off set up gains show in the high rpms then I dont see any reason to blame your loss on that.

·
-
6,794 Posts
vr-4wannabe said:
but you just said that open downpipe is THE BEST way to go did you not? you and other members have said that it produces HUGE gains. bullshit, it doesnt. why do you feel the need to dispute what my car does? it gains NO power whatsoever. NONE. its slow as crap, and it feels like a turd. it will show NO power gains. infact, ill put 50 bucks up that when i dyno, there will be NO power gain in the low end. infact, there will be LESS. with nitrous however, there could be a huge difference... hmm im going to try that.

now shut up you, you have an auto. :p
Yeah open downpipe is the best way, I didn't contradict myself. I was just saying how aftermarket companies build their exhausts. Its not feasable for the masses to be running around with no cats and no mufflers. People need to pass emissions, keep their exhausts quiet, and have the exhaust gasses exit out the rear of the car. That doesn't mean its the most performance oriented, but its the best mix of both.

And yeah I have an auto, autos have torque converters which will multiply torque off the line. More low end than you've got. Never dis on the auto BEEEEEOOOOOOTTTTTTTTCCCCCHHHH. Wait till I'm done with it then you can compare it to your little 5 speed. :D

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Haha, I love how everybody kisses Drew's ass. He *IS* <u>the man</u>, but let's think about some things for ourselves here...

I stated I lost some low end, but what I really meant (I didn't expect my statement to be dissected) is that my powerband moved down. Trust me when I say this, I have more low-end torque with the cat on than without it. I have less top-end. Yes I am faster with the test-pipe on, no doubt, since my power-band has been moved up, and the only time I'm not in it is when I am launching my car. However, since I do not drag race my car every day, I like the extra umph in the low-end, it just makes the car feel more drivable to me. I know that with a test-pipe I could achieve better quarter-mile times, but I'm not too worried about that in my NA.

:bandit:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
TajMan_17 said:

Yeah open downpipe is the best way, I didn't contradict myself. I was just saying how aftermarket companies build their exhausts. Its not feasable for the masses to be running around with no cats and no mufflers. People need to pass emissions, keep their exhausts quiet, and have the exhaust gasses exit out the rear of the car. That doesn't mean its the most performance oriented, but its the best mix of both.

And yeah I have an auto, autos have torque converters which will multiply torque off the line. More low end than you've got. Never dis on the auto BEEEEEOOOOOOTTTTTTTTCCCCCHHHH. Wait till I'm done with it then you can compare it to your little 5 speed. :D
yeah, nice 60 foot times they pull huh? id rape you off the line. i make 171 [email protected] rpms on a pussy clutch, and just intake pulley and frontpipe.

·
Deal with it
3,129 Posts
Hey winning off the line aint shit unless you win in the end. Have you ever seen the vid of Jeremy G racing AAM's Orange Beast? Well due to turbo lag Jeremy had a better 60 time. But in the end, I think AAM won by over a second or two, seriously. So there's proof that 60 times dont mean shit in the end

EDIT - whoever it was that wanted to put money on a loss in low end, would you like to put money on a gain in overall area under the HP curve? I'll put $250 on that.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
awild said:
Hey winning off the line aint shit unless you win in the end. Have you ever seen the vid of Jeremy G racing AAM's Orange Beast? Well due to turbo lag Jeremy had a better 60 time. But in the end, I think AAM won by over a second or two, seriously. So there's proof that 60 times dont mean shit in the end

EDIT - whoever it was that wanted to put money on a loss in low end, would you like to put money on a gain in overall area under the HP curve? I'll put $250 on that.
im talking about an automatic. please dont pull up bullshit examples. there is not one fwd auto 3/s that could beat me. not one. i really hate to sound cocky too... i really do, but i just dont think that its possible. they CAN be made fast, but i havent seen one yet. besides hollywood... but thats the only one.

·
Deal with it
3,129 Posts
Sorry I was really referring to winning off the line in general...didnt notice it was only about an auto. I had an auto at one time, so I know for a fact that they are dogs off the line and during the entire race unless they are juiced.

But honestly, why is AAM's Orange Beast a bullshit example? I have it on video if you'd like to see it.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
awild said:
Sorry I was really referring to winning off the line in general...didnt notice it was only about an auto. I had an auto at one time, so I know for a fact that they are dogs off the line and during the entire race unless they are juiced.

But honestly, why is AAM's Orange Beast a bullshit example? I have it on video if you'd like to see it.
its a bullshit example because i was refering to auto's. thats why. anything can happen with 5/6 speeds... however, its really not THAT hard, unless youre pushing mad power to launch an auto.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts