Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I attempted the search feature, forgive me I'm new :p. Im giving all this back story on this simple question so that I can negate answers that I've already attempted :)

I have a 91 vr4 that im having my friend who is a stealth turbo owner and longtime enthusiast replace the cast crank with a forged one out of a 97 SL. I have an assortment of parts that hes throwing on for me and ive tapped my bank account out for now lol. I get the car towed to his house to get the job done and we notice a rim is bent. So even tho the car will be finally running, it will not be driving. SO after scowering the facebook marketplace, and craigslist I cannot find any affordable rims or even one rim that will fit. From there I decided I might as well just get some new shoes for the VR4.

So my question now is; I know that I cannot run different size rims and tires with the AWD/AWS, BUT does the offset of the rim count?
The stock rim size is 5x114.3 17x8.5 +46 which is not an aftermarket wheel size from what Ive gathered. Can I run 1 17x8.5 rim with a similar offset and the same size tire along with the 3 stock rims and maintain the drive-ability of the AWD? So that my broke *** can buy one rim and tire at a time and hope nothing else breaks.

For example can I buy this? https://www.amazon.com/MOTEGI-HYPER-SILVER-17x8-5-5x114-30/dp/B0824BSFH5/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=5x114.3+17x8.5++42&qid=1577519991&s=automotive&sr=1-3

·
Registered
94 Posts
If your stock rim is bent so bad it can't hold air, go for it. 3mm difference is not a lot. However, if you want to be very very technical, no you shouldn't run it. If your stock one hold air, put it on the passenger rear until you can get all 4.

Another option is to get that bent wheel repaired. Should be no more than 100$.

With that being said, people run staggered setups on AWD too which changes things up also with no problem. So whichever option you go with, you should be fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Between the forums and the Facebook groups, I'm pretty confident it would take me about 15 minutes to find a good used wheel for a 91 VR4...

Is the bent one a right or left side wheel?
front right. tbh im confused on how offset works, just want to make sure i dont fuck up my car

·
Premium Member
6,899 Posts
front right. tbh im confused on how offset works, just want to make sure i dont fuck up my car
Just because it's bolted to the right front doesn't mean it's a right side wheel... People install them backwards all the time... Make sure both wheels on the left side have the L embossed on them, and both on the right have the R. You wouldn't want to go buy a right side wheel only to discover later you have three rights and only one left side wheel...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts