Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The voltmeter is reading 10 volts while I was driving home today. I noticed that the interior lights were rather low. Is this a sign of a bad alternator or something worse???

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its the alternator. $350 plus $150 in labor..........for some reason I'm thinking that sounds a little on the steep side. I'd fix it myself.....but I got finals to study for.....damn it.

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
Buy an alternator from Mykiss or anybody else parting out their car and do the labor yourself. It took me most of an afternoon, but if I had to do it again, I could do it in about 2 hours. I had to jack the car up to get to the side panel in the drivers fender, and then I had to figure out the jacking screw mechanism on the tensioner pulley. I took my time and never took out the radiator, just had to move the AC coolant hard line up and out of the way.
Oh, and if you do it yourself, dont forget to remove the negative battery terminal or you can get zapped pretty easy while taking off the positive charge cable off of the alternator.

Sam

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
DO NOT REMOVE ANY BATTERY CABLES WHILE THE CAR IS RUNNING!!!!

The battery acts as a power conditioner. Some Altenators could start Spiking voltage and destroy the very sensitive and expesnive computers on these cars. Many people have posted this warning. Im just relaying it to you.

·
Here Alot
2,366 Posts
Black1995GTBase said:
DO NOT REMOVE ANY BATTERY CABLES WHILE THE CAR IS RUNNING!!!!

The battery acts as a power conditioner. Some Altenators could start Spiking voltage and destroy the very sensitive and expesnive computers on these cars. Many people have posted this warning. Im just relaying it to you.

I second that. If you remove your battery cable while your car is running. You are running a big risk to burn out your ECU. Trust me and DON"T do it.

As far as changing out the alternator. You can get a rebuild one from Advance Auto parts for $240 and it will take you around an hour to do non-turbo and maybe 2 hours to do the turbo car. Jeff got a good site and helpful info how to switch out alternator. It is pretty simple and easy.

Good luck

·
Twin Power Pellets
9,372 Posts
nitrouscf...

are you running an underdrive pulley?

Because my lights dim noticeable in idle...
I just thought it was just because my alternator was being underdriven. Once the throttle is open a little... the lights are back to their normal selves.

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
You could also limp along for a while by recharging the battery at night and avoiding night time driving.

The cars don't draw that much power except when the lights and accessories are on. That way you can finish your finals, shop around for a good deal on an alternator (rebuilt or used) and then tackle the project.

Happy Thanksgiving..

Clint

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Final cost..............$549.77

parts.....................$363.80
shop supplies.......$10.00
lab-mechanical......$140.00
%6 sales tax.........$30.83
%1 seminole county tax....$5.14

Yes I have an under drive pulley and the lights due dim alittle at night while idling. I have a feeling that the oil from leaky oil cap got onto the alternator and "funkified" it along with road debris, water, and sand. I was driving it to the dealer to get fixed and the SOB died on me after 2 miles......had to get it towed. I would have fixed it myself using jeffs website but I just dont have the time. However, the dealership did clean my car for "free".......that was a nice surprise after paying the bill.

·
chunsangp
3,556 Posts
Alternator for $363?? That's horrible. Is there any factory replacements for lower cost?? I need to replace it soon but I didn't expect that much:eek:

·
Registered
497 Posts
whoa, if you give them your old alternator they will give you 60bux? do you have to buy a new one from them too or can u just give them your old one?

matt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.