Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between running lean and running rich. What implications does this have on driving?

·
curt93T/T
5,079 Posts
running lean = burned up pistons= $$$ engine work.

·
20 yr owner
1,867 Posts
If your running lean you won't be driving
too long as pistons will be melting.:mad:
possible turbo damage.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Your engine automatically switches between lean/rich on each bank.. one bank will be lean, and one rich.. and will just keep ticking away back and forth..
If your running a strong lean, meaning it won't switch back to reach for the moment.. you will then lack the fuel, to further the proper combustion, and this is when the word "detonation"(detonation- lack of fuel supply) occurs.. when your car is running so lean, that basically, enough fuel isn't being used to power the engine.. and you over combust the cylinder(s)..
Running Lean All the time = Bad..
Running Rich All the time = Bad.. (stumble/hessitation/run rough)
Running Stoic(Lean/Rich) = good thing.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input fellas!

·
curt93T/T
5,079 Posts
the only way running rich is bad is with performance but lean is nothing but bad news after awhile.

·
Registered
863 Posts
While running rich is safer than running lean, over time, it'll kill the O2 sensor and the cats, not to mention your wallet

V

·
0 Posts
What factors do cause a car to run lean or rich?Putting too much
boost without upgraded fuel injector will make your car running
lean right?

If I put electronic boost controller,that means I'm safe right,since I won't overboost?Please tell me the answer guys,I don't wanna
blow my new J-spec engine...:(

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
RacerRT said:
Your engine automatically switches between lean/rich on each bank.. one bank will be lean, and one rich.. and will just keep ticking away back and forth..
What nonsense! Where do people come up with this stupid shit? Dude, learn how a car works!

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
Jeff Lucius said:
What nonsense! Where do people come up with this stupid shit? Dude, learn how a car works!

Thems fightin' words!!! :eek:

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Jeff Lucius said:
I thought cars run on batteries :confused: my car runs slow when the battery is weak... :( Diehard Gold give u 15HP~

·
Registered
155 Posts
???

I've never heard of one bank running lean and one running rich, alternating!(thats not how a car runs....The only good thing about running lean is that it will run like a bad out of hell before it b;ows up!!!!....JC

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Jeff Lucius said:
Where the hell are you coming from?? If that isn't true then why does my scanner, read o2 codes, that go from 0-700-0 and back and forth? and why is it that the fuel injectors pulse only on firing cylinders? ANY fucking obd1/obd2 scanner will show you the firing pattern and it will change from "rich" to "lean" on alternating banks... oh wait... NO ONE but you has any fucking clue.. I'm gonna tell my mattco dealer who sold me that hunk of fucking junk monday morning off.. I can't beleive he would sell me something that showed that everycar I scan is running wrong.. maybe I should take it strait to the factory and get that thing fixed! god damnit.. I really wish that someone besides you knew what the fuck they were talking about.. I'm gonna beat up my old professor too.. Just for telling me a injector dumps fuel even when their is no spark..

Oh.. btw.. thanks for proving me you are stupider then you make yourself look.

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
Dude, Sober up! :D

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
RacerRT said:

Where the hell are you coming from?? If that isn't true then why does my scanner, read o2 codes, that go from 0-700-0 and back and forth? and why is it that the fuel injectors pulse only on firing cylinders? ANY fucking obd1/obd2 scanner will show you the firing pattern and it will change from "rich" to "lean" on alternating banks... oh wait... NO ONE but you has any fucking clue.. I'm gonna tell my mattco dealer who sold me that hunk of fucking junk monday morning off.. I can't beleive he would sell me something that showed that everycar I scan is running wrong.. maybe I should take it strait to the factory and get that thing fixed! god damnit.. I really wish that someone besides you knew what the fuck they were talking about.. I'm gonna beat up my old professor too.. Just for telling me a injector dumps fuel even when their is no spark..

Oh.. btw.. thanks for proving me you are stupider then you make yourself look.

ok :rolleyes:

·
Registered
466 Posts
stab it in the heart... you stab in the wrong place :):D :D :D peace...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts