Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a quote from Midas the other day for about 300 bucks to do the outer CV joints. Is that high???? Also, should I hold off on the track time till I get them fixed? I have to wait until next paycheck till I can get the corrective action taken for them... :(

·
5,179 Posts
UW8ANC said:
I received a quote from Midas the other day for about 300 bucks to do the outer CV joints. Is that high???? Also, should I hold off on the track time till I get them fixed? I have to wait until next paycheck till I can get the corrective action taken for them... :(
I think $300 is too much and I would wait until the car is fixed before going to the track.

·
Registered
430 Posts
mine is bad on the passenger side. i went to the track and didnt mess anything up. im gonna wait till i hear a click till i replace them. then i will just do the autozone thing. only $200 for both with a lifetime warranty

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is autozone a service shop? I would like to do it myself (with some help from Gus of course;) ), but I haven't seen any readings on CV boot how to's.... you guys have any worth while???

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
You can buy new axles from Advance Auto parts for $69.99 each with a lifetime warranty, and you can do it yourslef with instructions from 3si. As long as the boots aren't TORN, feel free to go to the track. You'll have a good week after they tear before you absolutely HAVE to replace the axles anyways.

Chances are, Midas was just trying to run up a bill.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WICKEDDREW,
Great info, I'll check it out online and see what's up....

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Also if your in florida, check out raxles. He can just send you the joints and you can rebuild it yourself. Or for 89.00 he can send you an new axle.

He is a real nice guy and was very helpfull when I needed the weird inner tripod shapped boot.

also 15.00 dollars for the boot instead of 49 that the mitsu guys wanted.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I got the boots yesterday. Precise fit. Better than stock quality and it came with amsoil grease.

for 15 dollars you can just replace the worn boots.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hostile,

Can you call him up and ask if he is willing to ship to Hawaii? Otherwise, I think I'll just head over to Checkers Auto Parts and have them order me new axles and boots.

·
Registered
230 Posts
When i first got the Stealth it had HORRIDLY ripped CV's and i (stupidly) took it to a local shop and paid almost $380 for new Axels/halfshafts/their hand up my ass (ie. i got RAPED :)

I recently did it on a friend's SL and it is so fucking simple i feel even more raped now :/

Just goto Autozone (wow i had a flashback and almost typed Autoshack) or where ever and DIY :)

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool, it's a plan. The next question that I have is what is recommended to change while I'm down there... left and right axles, halfshafts and new boots??? Anything else that would be worth my time? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Ive been driving around for a few thousand miles with torn front outer boots. I've done donuts in a dirt field, and ran the 1/4, and they still dont click. Grease is everywhere though. I know I'm a dumbass for doing it, but I'm broke and need to drive my car, and like to have fun driving it :) I guess thats why my clutch is dead now :(

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I don't have any clicking either, but I worry about them still... Unfortuanetly there going to have to wait.... today was the worst day of my life....A list of what i should change would be good though...

·
Registered
18,548 Posts
UW8ANC said:
Yeah, I don't have any clicking either, but I worry about them still... Unfortuanetly there going to have to wait.... today was the worst day of my life....A list of what i should change would be good though...
you change those axles/boots yet?

if not ill be coming back to oahu on jan 13th and ill give ya a hand if you want. if you end up just buying new axles from the parts store you wont need boots. they come pre-assembled and all you have to do is slap them in.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
REALLY? You mean were going to have another 3S'er here??? I haven't had a chance. Gus was going to help me after he gets back from Japan... But I would LOVE to have all three of us just kickin it. Are you studying here? Or just visiting... let me know, is our car going to be here???

·
Registered
18,548 Posts
UW8ANC said:
REALLY? You mean were going to have another 3S'er here??? I haven't had a chance. Gus was going to help me after he gets back from Japan... But I would LOVE to have all three of us just kickin it. Are you studying here? Or just visiting... let me know, is our car going to be here???
i live on maui but have been going back and forth to oahu for the last year and a half for school. i dont thnik ill be bringing my VR4 over cause i only have 6 more months. i have a bright yellow slammed s10 over there right now.

edit: if you have AIM hit me up at VR4NA2

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
unfortuanetly I don't have AIM... i usually just use PM's here on the board...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts