Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,485 Posts
So is the single available for the non-turbos?
Is the single necessary for the non-turbos?

-Chris Wood

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
wraith said:
How much power will the single carbon hold at the flywheel?
Sam,

The single carbon will hold at least 600hp at the flywheel. If you plan on making more than 600hp, I'd look at getting the Twin Carbon which has proven itself in 3S's making over 850hp at the flywheel.

On the group buy, everything is looking very well so far. We already have four people signed up for the Single Carbon clutches! If you'd like to pick up either the Single Carbon or the Twin Carbon, give us a mail [email protected] or [email protected] or give us a ring 301-330-8835.

See ya,

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i got un questionay.

if i buy the single disc c/c now and want to upgrade to the twin disc later, do i have to buy the whole twin disc assembly, or can reuse the flywheel (and maybe some other parts?) and not spend as much money?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I would get one just for the fact that it will take everything I can give it and I wouldn't have to worry about it. Because we all know what a pain in the ass it is to change clutches on these cars.:rolleyes: I still am unsure of the final route I will take with my car whether it be N/A, Nitrous, or Turbo but I would like to have a clutch that won't need to be upgraded later on when I am making more power. And my car will always be a daily driver so I would need a high power clutch that can be eased in and out while in traffic. In my mind, all of the above reasons are more than enough to justify forking over that kind of money for a clutch. But, since there is not an N/A version currently available, will there ever be? And how much would it cost to have one made?

Thanks,

·
Banned
11,301 Posts
It would probably be about $400 more then the retail price for a custom N/A clutch. If you are really serious about it, then we can make it happen. I had talked to Rob about making me a twin disc C-C clutch, but I decided to use the AWD trans instead, so I can use a TT clutch :).

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Interested in the single, don't think I'll ever need the double. Have the RPS III right now and don't like it for street driving, engage and disengage too abruptly, eople always think I'm racing them.

I take it the carbon clutch is slippable like a stock one and will engage smoothly?

Also, is there anything special about the install that I need to know? Or does it just install like a regular clutch?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
BookEditar said:
if i buy the single disc c/c now and want to upgrade to the twin disc later, do i have to buy the whole twin disc assembly, or can reuse the flywheel (and maybe some other parts?) and not spend as much money?

·
Registered
344 Posts
rpstc said:
Brett, if you are going to have the clutch out of the car, send it to me and I will not only inspect it, I will up-grade it to the newest specs!
wraith said:
now thats customer service. I have to say, we get a lot of good vendors here on the board--guys that truly know their business. I feel very confident in supporting any of them when I need performance parts.

Sam
Yes their customer service might be great for the selected. Too bad I was not one of the selected. Perhaps it was because I did not make my complaint public?

Although my clutch is not the $1,000+, I'll still share my experience.

I paid about $600 for an RPS clutch that lasted about 8-9k (lightly driven) miles and it was not the disc that wore out, instead the pressure plate clamps did. When I paid to have the RPS PP changed we found 2 loose clamps on the diaphragm. I was told by TAD motorsports during the time I had purchased this clutch, it was one of the newly designed PP -2900 lbs.-, I guess newly designed because some were tested and found to not produce this claimed amount. Later on I heard that some defective PP’s were released during that time. Obviously mine did not become apparent because the car was in storage and then driven shortly the next 2 summers.

Nevertheless, I purchased another RPS clutch, a 6 puck sprung hub stage III (full price), and have put under 1k miles and now notice the pedal feeling softer than when it was first installed. It does not seem to slip, but I hope this is not a prelude to what has happen on the previous RPS clutch. This car sits in storage a lot and what makes me the slightest bit upset is the thought of having to pay to have this one pulled down and sent in. That is, if it continues to get softer.

The first experience left me weary but still confident enough that it was a rare thing, but this recent problem before winter hit, makes me very disappointed. I will not jump the gun and conclude the newer one is defective, but for sure the first one was. A $550+ clutch that lasted 9k miles on the PP, not the disc. The factory clutch originally on the car lasted 60K+ miles and the PP was still firm, it was the disc that wore out, understandably.

What makes me drag this out is the fact that my clutch seems to be weakening and the first clutch hangs over my head. Also, seeing how the impression that the customer service is excellent. Makes me say, "um, not in my eyes".

BTW, the car still has factory turbos. I purchased the “upgraded” clutch because I had planned on increasing cars power above factory levels.

Mario
1994 VR-4 80K miles
e-mail: [email protected]

·
Back in the Saddle
3,371 Posts
rpstc said:

Brett, the noise you hear is a "brake squeel" noise the carbon against carbon makes. The 3000 GT's are the loudest for some reason. I make the identical clutch for the Nisaan 300Z's (except the ring gear) and they do not make any sound.

I drove a Stealth yesterday with the Twin Disc and it only makes the noise during the last stages of engagement for less than a second. The hotter the clutch gets, the more power it holds and the noise does get a little louder. I was able to change my driving style a little to get rid of the noise.

If I knew why the carbon carbon makes noise in the 3000 GT's and not in the 300Z's I'm sure I could make yours quiet also.
I guess the noise is just the nature on the beast.

I would like to know from the guys who have the Single disc if it also makes a noise. No one has told me yet.
I have had the RPS single carbon/carbon for almost three weeks, and I'd be happy to answer anyone's questions on my experience with it. To answer Rob's question, I have heard virtually no noise from the clutch. Since the install, I do tend to hear the engine rpms dropping very quickly, and that's more noticable than before. I'm thinking that's some harmonic from the lightened flywheel. It only happens occasionally, so I don't think there is a problem.

On the install, I went to moparjim and his friend Jeff who installed it while I mostly watched, and played assistant whenever they needed a hand. Now that I've been there through the whole thing, I might consider doing it myself if there is a next time. There is apparently no difference in the install procedure for this clutch versus others.

Afterwards, I immediately noticed the increased pressure it takes to depress the clutch pedal. It isn't a problem, but it is noticable, and it only becomes a PITA if I'm in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Buyers should expect to have to push harder to engage the clutch. I also noticed how it required more throttle to perfect a smooth start from stop. Again, I'm thinking that's the lightened flywheel. As always, if you are short on throttle, the engine will stall, or you'll lurch forward with a vibration that makes the whole car shudder. In a few days, most drivers will adjust to the new pedal pressure required, and the new mix of throttle and engagement to make it a smooth daily driving experience.

If you are doing an aggressive start off the line at higher rpm, you'll have no problems. It engages very well, and holds really strong. I'm running 1.25 bar boost and the clutch is having no difficulties holding all of it.

So far, I am very satisfied with the RPS Single Carbon Carbon.

Erik

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
VR4neophyte said:
Afterwards, I immediately noticed the increased pressure it takes to depress the clutch pedal. It isn't a problem, but it is noticable, and it only becomes a PITA if I'm in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Buyers should expect to have to push harder to engage the clutch. I also noticed how it required more throttle to perfect a smooth start from stop. Again, I'm thinking that's the lightened flywheel.
i thought pedal pressure was supposed to be about the same as the stock pressure? with a lightened flywheel, you need more throttle to start because the flywheel has less momentum. your RPM also drop more quickly when you let off because it has less inertia than a heavy flywheel.

can anyone answer my question? i need to know soon!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
BookEditar said:
i got un questionay.

I'd email Mike, [email protected] , or Rob Smith at RPS Preformance, http://www.turboclutch.com/lobby4a.htm, with your question. They may not be monitoring this thread that closely.

It looks like the flywheels are different for the two different clutches. It is a little hard to tell from the pictures to be certain.

Jeff

·
Registered
93 Posts
BookEditar said:

i thought pedal pressure was supposed to be about the same as the stock pressure? with a lightened flywheel, you need more throttle to start because the flywheel has less momentum. your RPM also drop more quickly when you let off because it has less inertia than a heavy flywheel.

can anyone answer my question? i need to know soon!
The pedal pressure on the Twin Disc is similar to stock. The pedal pressure on the Single Disc is the same as the MAX PP.

·
No longer a 3/S owner.
3,631 Posts
The pedal pressure on the Twin Disc is similar to stock. The pedal pressure on the Single Disc is the same as the MAX PP.
That's a little depressing to be honest. How much heavier is the MAX than the stock PP? I just assumed the single would be similar to stock.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
VR-4Maniac said:

That's a little depressing to be honest. How much heavier is the MAX than the stock PP? I just assumed the single would be similar to stock.
From the RPS website, there is a 33% pressure increase, if I interpreted the table correctly. The clutches today are nothing like the old muscle car clutches. I'm just going to start exercising my legs again :D .

I've ordered for a single disk, I think this is a great deal.

Jeff

·
perpetual college student
4,150 Posts
pedal pressure on the max is nothing to be concerned about ... unless you are an 95 lb woman or a total pansy :lol3: you should have no problems

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.