Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are organizing a group buy for the RPS Single Carbon and Twin Carbon clutches! We've been with RPS for a long time (about four years) and as many of your know we weren't able to get the full RPS line directly from RPS lately. We'll we've helped them with alot of development lately, and earned a new relationship with them so we can now supply you with any 3000GT/Stealth clutch you might want from RPS.

To start things out, we're putting together a Group Buy for the new RPS Single Carbon and Carbon/Carbon clutches. These clutes are very unique because they were designed to be the best clutch for BOTH smooth street driving and high horsepower drag racing applications. These clutches can be slipped when drag racing to help distribute stress away from the drivetrain and transmission. This is unique compared to the other clutches out there that will almost always never hold in taller gears after beeing slipped off the line in very high horespower applications. The performance of this clutch has been proven and has been a major contributor to the recent success of several 3S's reliably running very low 11's passes and some 10-second passes over the past year.

Anther added bonus to these clutches are that they should be the last clutch purchase you ever have. In the event you do manage to wear one out, RPS will rebuild the clutch for a fixed price of $400.00 for the Twin Carbon's, and $200.00 for the Single Carbon's.

We're are offering these kits with all of the essentials you will need for install. This includes the clutch and flywheel assembly (flywheel bolts and throwout bearing included) and three quarts of redline transmission fluid. The pricing will be as follows:

RPS Single Disk Carbon Clutch $1,495.00
RPS Twin Disk Carbon/Carbon Clutch $2,495.00

To get these price we need 10 Single Clutches and 5 Twin Carbon's. If interested, please send an e-mail to [email protected] or [email protected] and/or call John Son or Mike Mahaffey at 301-330-8835. The Group Buy will be open through the third week of December.

See ya,

·
Dog Is My Co-Pilot
4,082 Posts
TTT

Hmmm . . . tempting, very tempting . . .

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
So you say this clutch should out last the car? That's a pretty tall order! When you said flywheel assembly, does that mean it includes an aluminum flywheel? Also, is the single available for non-turbo applications? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't know much about these clutches yet.
thanks,

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yes the carbon clutch comes with it's own flywheel/contact surface hence carbon/carbon not carbon/oem flywheel.
PearlR/T said:
So you say this clutch should out last the car? That's a pretty tall order! When you said flywheel assembly, does that mean it includes an aluminum flywheel? Also, is the single available for non-turbo applications? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't know much about these clutches yet.
thanks,

·
Hunter...
957 Posts
Mike, do you get a grinding noise with your CC, I have a nasty noise coming from down in that area somewhere, I was told it was the clutch making noise, but now I am starting to get it when I do 3rd-2nd downshifts and other gear downshifts. I know you have quite a few vids of your car, by chance you have any that you can hear the sound the clutch is making?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wicked91RT said:
Mike, do you get a grinding noise with your CC, I have a nasty noise coming from down in that area somewhere, I was told it was the clutch making noise, but now I am starting to get it when I do 3rd-2nd downshifts and other gear downshifts. I know you have quite a few vids of your car, by chance you have any that you can hear the sound the clutch is making?
Brett, the noise you hear is a "brake squeel" noise the carbon against carbon makes. The 3000 GT's are the loudest for some reason. I make the identical clutch for the Nisaan 300Z's (except the ring gear) and they do not make any sound.

I drove a Stealth yesterday with the Twin Disc and it only makes the noise during the last stages of engagement for less than a second. The hotter the clutch gets, the more power it holds and the noise does get a little louder. I was able to change my driving style a little to get rid of the noise.

If I knew why the carbon carbon makes noise in the 3000 GT's and not in the 300Z's I'm sure I could make yours quiet also.
I guess the noise is just the nature on the beast.

I would like to know from the guys who have the Single disc if it also makes a noise. No one has told me yet.

·
Hunter...
957 Posts
rpstc

I know that there is supose to be a noise, but I shouldnt get his noise when I downshift? I dont think that it can be the clutch for how loud it is...it might be though..

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
you're probably getting a harmonic peculiar to the 3000gt... put some dynamat stuff on the back of the flywheel and on the back of the pressure plate with some extremely good glue and it'll probably go away. kind of like the stuff you put on brake pads to make them quiet.
Matt

·
tUrBo aDDicT
744 Posts
Well, my 6 pucks just blew over the weekend. It still under warranty so I gotta e-mail Rob. I would like to get this twin disk carbon.

·
Hunter...
957 Posts
another question I had about this clutch....Is it right for it to be able to fully dis-engauge the clutch w/o giving the car ANY gas...if I let it out slowly for 5 seconds the car will go into first gear w/o stalling? Sorry to keep going on and on about this, I just think that the mech did something wrong on the install....

Whats different about your new version of the RPS CC clutch? I think I am gonna have to have my tranny taken apart AGAIN, and have it done right this time. its going to the shop today.

Ayone else have any opionions about the dynamat stuff?

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
you would need some pretty serious glue if you were to put any sound dampening material on the flywheel or the pressure plate - they get very hot and there's going to be a lot of centripetal force required to hold them on there as they rotate at 7000 rpm. it was a suggestion for rps the company, not a buyer of an rps clutch :)
Matt

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
p.s. if your engine's rpms is high enough (say 1000) and you let off of the stock clutch real slowly, the car will start moving (on a level surface - not going uphill or anything) slowly. there's no real difference between 1000 rpm and 2000 rpm when you have your foot on the gas except the amount of torque and horsepower you're delivering to the flywheel.
Matt

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wicked91RT said:
another question I had about this clutch....Is it right for it to be able to fully dis-engauge the clutch w/o giving the car ANY gas...if I let it out slowly for 5 seconds the car will go into first gear w/o stalling? Sorry to keep going on and on about this, I just think that the mech did something wrong on the install....

Whats different about your new version of the RPS CC clutch? I think I am gonna have to have my tranny taken apart AGAIN, and have it done right this time. its going to the shop today.

Brett, if you are going to have the clutch out of the car, send it to me and I will not only inspect it, I will up-grade it to the newest specs!:D :D

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
now thats customer service. I have to say, we get a lot of good vendors here on the board--guys that truly know their business. I feel very confident in supporting any of them when I need performance parts.

Sam

1 - 20 of 52 Posts