Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help,

I have a '92 VR-4 that idles normally at start-up [800-900 rpms]. The idle is fine for the next 10 minutes where it begins to fluctuate between 2000 and 4000 rmps whenever the clutch is depressed or the car is in neurtral. This fluctuation is constant until the engine is shut down. Is is annoying and embarrassing as each time I stop at a light the engine revs up and down like I want to race someone.
I have also noticed some blue/white smoke from the left exhaust pipe. A small amount, but it is a concern.
The car has 80,000 miles on it and is stock.

·
THE GAME
1,464 Posts
Blue smoke from the exhaust is usually an indicator that the engine is burning oil. And i don't know what would cause the engine reving by itself but it might be an ECU problem or something.

·
Registered
636 Posts
i wish my car would smoke blue, sounds cool ...

seriously, if you car was burning oil wouldn't it burn black!!?? i'm just guessing

·
Registered
155 Posts
ring, ring

Sounds like your gonna need some rings later down the road...Are you running stock boost?....JC

·
Elite Member
462 Posts
I Know what it isn't . . .

I am currently trouble shooting a friends Stealth N/A and he has a similar problem . . .

When you first start car the idle is dead on. Then the idle creeps up to about 2000. Some times it is steady and sometime it performs that strange up and done syndrome. Usually when it idles steady, as soon as you start to roll (cluth in or out) it goes up and down.

Now what it isn't:

It is not the Idle Speed Control Servo and it is not the Throttle Posistion Sensor (Changed or swapped with known good). The car has fresh OEM wires and OEM NGK Platinum Plugs. When you unplug the MAS, the high idle returns down to lower limits as the ECU enters limp home mode. I am begining to suspect the MAS but I can not be sure.

Has any one else had this happen before?

Brett A. Farnam

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Originally Posted By lamvu187

seriously, if you car was burning oil wouldn't it burn black!!?? i'm just guessing

Nope............Black is fuel.

Your burning oil............Mine will do it if I sit at an idle for to long. Some say it's the rings, others say it's the valve stem seals. Don't know yet. Not ready to rebuild the motor yet so I'm not going to tear it apart to find out.

As for your idle fluctuation...........It's probably the ECS or even the throttle position sensor.

Dave

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Same problem fixed

My car has the same problem 6 months ago and the problem was the valve seals (mine smoked a lot if I was sometime stoped).
I change the seals and it fix the problem, no more smoke.

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts