Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 stealth es and when I have my foot still at like 3k rpm they suddenly drop and then come back. I think that it is the maf sensor cause I have a k&n air filter so how do I clean it?

·
Registered
517 Posts
That’s what mine did when the ECU caps were leaking (1991 R/T). I would start there if it hasn’t been rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Replace the Power Transister Unit aka ptu. It is the gatekeeper for power to the coils AS WELL AS RPM signal. It's cheap, is an all or nothing switch so results after installing absolutely confirm or exclude it as problem part.

I just eliminated half of the items on my list of the possibly problematic electrical parts by replacing mine. 2 or 3 were gremlins I'd been chasing for like 2 years, and survived a refurbished ECU as well as a bench test and fix of the one I bought and used as a replacemt 10 years ago!

My intuition has me thinking of the possibility that that little black box is more closely related to many of the ectrical gremlins that plague our vr4s and TTs...in spite of new ECUs and resistors and coils and plugs n gaps etc, etc. etc...

Peace

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Regardimg my statement on my intuition; it's based on having chased a lot of recurring grmlims and reading info on likely sources. And strong enough that if something electrical is flagged as a problem and is related to the PTU in any way, PTU will also getting replaced with the flagged bad part.

Peace

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks but it is a little too expensive but some day i can buy it probably.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Ok, thanks but it is a little too expensive but some day i can buy it probably.
Whaaaat,??? Bro, wjere are you located? And some may bust my chops for this, BUT I got my ptu from amazon for $20. If you are not in u.s. Ive no clue of parts prices.

Peace

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,121 Posts
Whaaaat,??? Bro, wjere are you located? And some may bust my chops for this, BUT I got my ptu from amazon for $20. If you are not in u.s. Ive no clue of parts prices.

Peace
If you look under his username on the left it shows the flag of the country the user is from. For vilhelm, it looks like the flag of Finland. I assume parts prices are quite high there compared to the US (I know they are for neighboring Sweden from another member here).

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Lol. The price I pay for using my cell phone headset like it's a notebook computer lol!

Thx
Peace

1 - 8 of 8 Posts