Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

· Verified Seller
1,976 Posts
Is mobile 1 15w40 fine? My turbos are in great shape no shaft play, but the seals are leaking. I plan on upgrading them down the road but I know my car puffs out more smoke since gutting the rear pre cat and installing the aftermarket turbo catback exhaust and downpipe. I've been using mobile 1 5w 30..is that the reason why it smokes that bad?

· Pro xfercase destroyer
6,262 Posts
5W30 is too light. The factory spec is 10W30 for cooler weather and 10W40 for warmer climates, if I remember right. Mobil 1 15W40 is okay, that's usually what I use. Sometimes the 15W50 if it is the middle of summer and I'm going to be racing the car.

· Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
yeah anything from 10w-30-40-50 your good.

just hit 1100 miles .
since Honda VX ignition isn't working. (no time for anything atm lol)

· Premium Member
19,730 Posts
I think I remember Bluemax saying Mobile 1 isn't great. Can't remember why just that he gave it the thumbs down. I had heard RP was to be steered clear of. I always used Motul 300V. Liquid gold. Where I live many of the performance cars use Castrol Edge 10w60 mostly thanks to our climate.

· Verified Seller
1,976 Posts
Wow now I feel bad that I was using 5w 30! No since in changing the oil as I need to replace the oil pan due to it being dented.

Got me a really really nice Powercoated Silver Vein oil pan. Hope the pick up isn't bent!

· Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
i always had 20w50. (ray or steve said it won't pretzel the lines from starting in cold)

· Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)

· Verified Seller
1,976 Posts
Texas doesn't have cold enough winters for me to worry about. I'd be lucky to see any snow hit the ground here LOL! The most snow I seen was on TV in other states.

· Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
And what was the result.
I highly doubt it was 20w50

Probably 5w30 or so

· Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30483

Here is probably what your talking about. Wear test for scars.

And royal purple did great, not best but for the test...
it had 3 types that hit outstanding which 20w50 rp was nearly outstanding result. 84000 score.
Castrol conventional 20w50 got 95000 score but my turbos burn that up after 700 miles. So far rp has no burning after 1100+ miles.

This is how ratings are scored.

Pennozoil ultra 5w30 was top dog. (So ill probably try them next if they have synthetic 20w50)

Oil categories:

*** Over 90,000 psi = OUTSTANDING protection

*** 75,000 to 90,000 psi = GOOD protection

*** 60,000 to 75,000 psi = MODEST protection

*** Below 60,000 psi = UNACCEPTABLE protection

So rp had 2 in modest protection 5w30 (so stay away from these)

And rest of the 3 or 4 rp oils tested were in good or outstanding protection.

· Verified Seller
1,976 Posts
Going to see how the mobile 1 10w40 high mileage holds up. Only thing I didn't like is that it says it has additives to condition the seals. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing?

· No longer in KY
2,521 Posts
Going to see how the mobile 1 10w40 high mileage holds up. Only thing I didn't like is that it says it has additives to condition the seals. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing?
It just reconditions (swells) the seals in an older engine, hence for use with high mileage engines. The worst thing I can think of that high mileage oil could do is wear new seals prematurely by swelling them into making too much contact with moving parts and wearing them down faster (cam and crank seals).

Jeff

· Verified Seller
1,976 Posts
That was the only oil I could find that mobile 1 had in 10w40 was the high mileage. That or I would have gone with 15w50 but I thought that might have been too much weight.

· Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
2,700 Miles Complete. I cannot find any oil loss.

I did not over fill it. by at min of 1,500 i would already have to add some.

I never smell oil burn anymore. This could be a fix for old turbos until you finally need change them out.

Nearly at 188,000 on mr Stealth

· Registered
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
3,200 miles i lost aprox. 3 ounces. Thats pretty good. Only thing is I am assuming chemical break down on my turbos is at around 3,000 Miles for this oil.

Lot better than 1000 miles...

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.