Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. jeeze, been a while since i've been here.
my front rotors are, and have been for a while, very warped. and my brakes are not stopping me like they used to. so i have decided it's time to replace them. now my question: where can I get a good pair of rotors(preferably slotted) for under 130/pair? and do i need to worry about my back rotors? i cant tell, but i dont think they're warped. I could take my wheel off and take a look at them, but what do i look for to see if they're bad? (warped or just need replacing)... then for brake pads: which do i go for and how much can I expect to spend?

Can someone give me some good links to good stores with good prices. (you know, all the good stuff) :) I'd appreciate it...

bret

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
do slotted rotors typically last longer than oem? The reason I ask is that my stealth is my daily driver right now, no mods (no $$$) I have had every set of rotors warp, but they usually don't start showing signs of warping 'till it is about time to have them turned, and since I can't seem to find anyone who will turn my rotors (they say they are too thin, i think it is bs), it means I have to buy two or more rotors. I don't see spending 2 to 3 times more on a set of rotors if they don't last any longer than my oem, can either slotted, Xdrilled, or oem be turned, do I need to keep looking for other places to turn my rotors?

·
intercooled member
511 Posts
Hi..I'm fairly new to this board, but i thought I got a pretty good deal (free shipping even) at this place on KVR rotors and pads. They recommend cross-drilled vs slotted for street driven cars but they sell slotted also. I have not tried this brand before, but they looked pretty good to me. I am expecting to receive my order first of next week.

(I hope this link is correct, if not, try typing pureperformance in your browser)

http://www.pureperf.com:)

·
mmm.. caffeine
3,868 Posts
If they are already warped too bad they can't be turned. You will know it if the back ones are warped when you look at them.

(For instance if you can put your finger in the groove made by the brake pad then they are warped beyond turnig. Believe me, I know from experience. :( )

From what I hear that the slotted can be turned but don't know for sure.

Also I understand the stock rotors on these cars are not that good and that most other aftermarket are much better.

·
2,994 Posts
I would suggest aginst getting slotted or cross drilled, I am pretty sure that they don't help that much and may ware out the pads faster. In addition, they may warp faster. It just isn't worth the money, but if you want to look cool, go ahead, they aren't that cheap.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Cross drilled are more suited for street and slotted for track. I just got new Stillen Sport Cross-drilled rotors to replace my warped stockers. Stillen uses Brembo blanks so they are a bit more expensive. Documented tests show 15% better stopping power over OEM.

The cross-drilling aids the brake pad sweep to increase it's initial bite and allow for out-gassing while also cleaning the entire brake pad surface. The sweep will eliminate hot spots and maximize the brake pad friction to the rotor. The added air-surface, created by cross-drilling, will increase the rotors ability to dissipate heat and cool more effectively. This helps eliminate severe heat and stress which can crack any rotor whether it be stock, cross-drilled, or slotted.

I just put a final coat of paint on the hubs, cross-drilled holes, and perimeter vents to sweeten them up. They come zinc cadmium plated to not rust.

Check out their website for some great info about brakes. http://www.stillen.com

·
Registered
844 Posts
Ebay has Bradi cross drilled/slotted rotors for about $120-130 a pair. I have them on all 4 and they stop real nice. Next up is the Goodridge SS brake lines and some Metal Matrix pads.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I concur with mattyboy, I have the bradi's all around with stillen metal matrix pads and it stops a lot better than before. I was in the same situation as you were in, where my rotors were extremely warped (severe shaking at highway speed braking) and brake pads were worn down to nothing.

No problems so far with them and I've put a good 500 miles on them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts