Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever taken their VR-4 or TT to an open track day? My brother just got a WRX, my dad and I are building a Cobra kit car, and I have had my VR-4 for several months and want to see what they can do, legally. Has anyone ever gone to an open track day? If so, what is usually required; roll cage, helment, suit, gloves? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Vroom Vroom
625 Posts
usually all that is required is an approved helmet, and your car has to pass through tech to be allowed on. but thats basic, like your tires have good grooves/air pressure, battery is tied down, brakes havnt worn too thin, and basic stuff like that

Unfortunatly at these, open track days, their isnt much passing allowed unless waved through by the driver in front.

you will be in a class with cars and drivers of your cars power/handling capabilities, and driver skill/experience

I hanv't been to one myself recently:( but the biggest thing you should do is upgrade your brakes!! by some porterfield pads and use a higher temp brake fluid. Remove the dust shields on the inside of your rotor to help with brake cooling. The biggest problem people have is their brakes over heating. And somtimes they miss out of a lot of track time because their brakes are toast

track days are awesome, especially in a vr4/TT, just dont get too crazy, remember you do have to drive the car home;)

Sean

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I think breaks are going to be my first area for modifications. Nothing too wild though. Maybe some DOT 4 or 5.1 fluid, Goodwrich stainless lines, speedbleeders, and maybe pads and rotors.

·
Vroom Vroom
625 Posts
ya you should be good with all that, Fastmax goes road racing alot, so you should PM him if you want. I hink the brake fluid some people use it Motul 300??

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,990 Posts
Your Lucky

You are luck you are not to far from several Road race tracks.

The only track I have gone to is in Holland Michigan about 5 hours awy from you, but it is really cheap.

They have open track nights that cost $50 to drive from 5:00 till dark, A good 3-4 hours of track time. I went to a drivers school there were I had track time(20 minutes every hour) from 9:00 till 6:00 PM with an instructior in my car for only $150!

All you really need is car in good shape amd a GOOD helmet, A DOT motorcycle helmet is not good enough (but they don't check):rolleyes:

I would suggest a SA2000 helmet, it will be good everywere for a leat 5 years, Some places consider M95 and even M90 acceptable too, do a search here on helmets for more details.

Brakes would be the first uprade I would suggest for open tracking, a beginer tryin g too hard can burn up stock pads in 3 laps at Gingerman, JeremyG and I both did on our first time at he track:D

First think is brake pads, a minimum is porterfield R4-S pads that will work on the street and track, if you get serious R4 pads work better on the track but you can not use them on the street. I have been hearing Great things about carbo-tech pads that work great ont he track and are streetble too. Stillen Metal Matrix pads are great on the street but they suck on the track.

After I upgraded my pads to R4's I was able to run 2 20 minute long track sessions w/o problems. at the very end of my 3rd 20 minute track run I boiled my new Dot-4 brake fluid and it took over 30 minutes of cooling off before I had any brakes at all. I switched to Motol 600 and had no brake problems after 3 20 minute track sessions at national gathering.

If you focus on carrying speed throught he corners and not just trying to go as fast as possible on the straights you can run stock brake pads, several guys did this at the National gathering but it is more fun to hit 100mph on the straights and have the brakes to stop your car.

Many people also suggest removing your front brake dust shields. I did and it helped to get more cool air to the brakes.

Geoff Mohler is also a track junky and sells Porterfield products at great prices, his store is speedtoys.
http://www.speedtoys.com/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts