Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. So I need some help here. In order for my car to run right with the added help of turbos :) I need a rising rate fuel pressure regulator (or so called an FMU). Basically, it raises the pressure in the fuel lines according to how much boost I am running at any given point.

Now, I have seen that one in the classifieds that bolts up to the stock fuel rails. But I have been told that one won't do me any good, and that I should look elsewhere. I've searched the board, and searched the net, and I can't find any info. I stopped by AAM today and talked to Joe, and he said he suggests a Paxton or one made by Aerotech (I think thats it). But, in order to use one of those, I'd have to totally redo my fuel system (lines, rails, etc), which 1) would cost a lot and 2) I don't really need to do.

Which brings me back to that one in the classifieds section that bolts up to the stock fuel rail.. and uses stock fuel lines. The said reason for looking elsewhere for a FMU is because this one is only a 1 to 1 ratio; for every 1 psi in boost I go up, it raises the fuel pressure by 1 psi.. and I would need to have the ration higher than just 1 to 1 for it to work right. BUT, after talking with Joe at AAM.. he said that the Paxton and Aerotech(?) are also both 1 to 1 ratio's..

So, what's the deal? what should I look for? what should I get? HELP!?

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I have the SX, which looks just like the Paxton FPR. If you insist on having one with the stock setup, its not that big of deal.

The fuel return is not high pressure like fuel delivery. Just mount the thing, run a -6 or dash 4 line from the rail to the FPR, a -6 line or -4 to the fuel return line. You will need adapter clamps, etc...

Adjust to 43PSI at idle, and your ready to go. To adjust it you will need a pressure gauge though. Unless im wrong.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Pokey doesn't have a rising rate FPR installed. He has just a normal one (otherwise he'd be in "rich" trouble).

There are some good ones around the Miata guys are using for their turbo setup. I'd do some research in this area. None do fit directly to the rails.

But .... I think you are going the wrong way on our cars but we'll see. Bigger injectors would defintiely be better.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
If all you're using to control the mixture is the fuel pressure regulator then you do want one with greater than 1:1 rising. However, if you're also using an AFC or similar device, a 1:1 is fine.

The 1:1 will keep the injectors flowing their rated capacity and will make it easier to fine tune the fuel curve.

The ones that go over 1:1 just add extra fuel as boost rises. That's something you can do manually with the AFC if you see the need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts