Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Rhd gto

4K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  DuTTch 
#1 ·
You guys think I could sneak in a RHD GTO from canada into the US?

#3 ·
From what I've read a resident of Canada car drive into the states on vacation. Now if you decide to "sell" said car then who is to know the difference. If someone was to do such a thing then I would have to give that individual a few words or perhaps a couple thousand "words"?

#4 ·
Ah, it would be quite difficult to sell GTOs down there considering the market difference.

Whereas a Canadian would pay $7,000ish for 93ish GTO, I have my doubts the American market would be equivalent (probably much less ;) ), no?

#5 ·
I would not bring it here to sell, just have it as a novelty. In europe I could get top dollar for it, int he range of 10k euros

#6 ·
Right, my apologies for the misunderstanding. I actually meant the sale would be difficult for a Canadian to sell it to an American-at least, any sale to the general public. However, I must agree.. quite the novelty/rarity it would be. If you find anything out, I know several importing companies that could help you out.

#7 ·
I got friends in Vancouver and figure it to import it to them, them register it in canada, they drive it across as tourists where I will be waiting in seatle with my truck and trailer , something along this line, it just I am thinking its gonna cost an arm and a leg to transport it there all the way across.
Another option could be to import it to to toronto and somehow get it to Indy for the NG, where I will be with my two car car hauler and one other 3S car.
Nobody hasnt said I couldnt import it as a racecar(offroad) and deliver it to Indy, as I have heard that could be an option.

#12 ·
Maybe that explains why I gotit so cheap huh lol

#9 ·
5000 euros = $6,596.74 US

I dream of a RHD but my only option would be to build one as I (1) don't live close to Canada and (2) don't know many Canadians that could help me.

Yes the novelty of it is awesome but the comments I get for wanting one is "you can't go through a drive-thur"! Guess I'll have to get out of my car and walk in to get my burger and fries!

But it really would be fun to see one in person at NG.

#11 ·
just for shiggles, I would drive it thru drive thru the other way lol:)

#14 ·
Speaking of going through in reverse, I have successfully done it numerous times.

One lady(presumably a night manager) at Mcd's actually threatened to call the police on me for driving through in reverse. She said it was illegal, I said it was practical and efficient. Bitch. Ha! But seriously, I was actually like,"Is this a joke?"

How harmful can driving through in reverse be? Apparently quite...to the average McDonald's worker. Hahah.

#18 ·
Why would you want a car that was set up for the wrong side of the road?, can`t get my head around it personally.

#20 ·
It's actually set up for the "right" side of the road ;) Haha.

But in all honesty, it changes your perception by two feet-not a big deal.

Parallel parks can practically be done blind-folded. Also, when getting out of the car, you are NOT in the line of traffic, but rather, have direct access to the sidewalk.

So, there are benefits...One just has to look for them. In other words, it's not as ridiculous as you think. It's equally as practical, as long as your adaptable.

#26 ·
I asked the goverment a few questions:

Dear Mr. Merritt, NHTSA

I got your email from one of the forms and perhaps you can help me or direct me in the to the right person. I am looking for some information in regards to possibly importing a Japanese right hand drive 1993 Mitsubishi GTO. I have read the rules over and over again and find myself with to many questions and concerns and possible grey areas from this link: Importation and Certification FAQ's Directory--All Vehicles

1) Can I import it under rule nr. 3 and 4 as the exact same car the Mitsubishi 3000GT is legal here in the united states?

2) I do not see it on the completely excluded list

3) Import it under the rule 12 of car show as I wrote Mitsubishi Japan and they couldnt tell me how many were made but stated not to many(, I have a letter backing that up) , when you say made/produced is that for the year or is it total production, this peticular model year of 93 is rare as it a second generation with a 6speed tranmission, as to were in the rest of the world all 93's were a first generation model with 5 speed transmission.

4) would off road as a race vehicle be an option and pay 5 years duty, that would bring me close to the 25year rule.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Answer:

Sorry, but there is no legitimate way to import this car until it is 25 years old, so you will have to be patient for about 5 years. And even then, you would have a huge expense to TRY to get it up to CARB compliant, which can only be done by a shop licensed by that agency. There is one in LA ( 714-545-9503 ) and one in Napa ( 707-258-1753 ). With RHD, it is not the “exact same car” as the LHD version sold here. If it was made into a full-out race car in Japan with all the equipment and features of, say, a NASCAR racer, then we likely could let it enter as an off-road only vehicle. Note it has to be in full racing configuration BEFORE entry.

#29 ·
Im wondering what the definition of full out racing means

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.