Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I turned my BOV around today. Theoretically the boost will now <i>help</i> hold the valve closed instead of pushing against it. Preliminary tests show a much louder "whoosh" when letting off from part throttle and <b>NO</b> goose noise!

This should do the trick till I finally get a 1g DSM BOV.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
interesting. does this allow enough air to escape during shifts?

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The valve still opens the same amount which means the same amount of air is released.

bainfood -

In the stock setup that's exactly what happens. The original idea is that the boost in the signal hose plus the BOV spring will keep it closed but as we all know it leaks. Looking at it will show you why - it's a cheap plastic POS where the DSM one is metal with a rubber seal instead of plastic on plastic.

Flipping the BOV around means as you add boost it just holds the BOV closed even tighter. When you let off the throttle, the vac in the signal hose pulls the plunger open and it vents like normal. I have noticed it's more eager to blow off if you let off the gas at like 2psi.

Overall it's a must-do mod!

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TTT

Somebody do it and report back! If you've got a K&N, you can do it without removing the Y pipe or anything else. It'll take maybe 10 minutes.

·
Grandpa
3,636 Posts
What exactly are you doing when you say you turned it around?

I'd love to get rid of this damn goose!

·
Registered
30 Posts
What exactly do you mean?

How exactly do we "turn it around" switch vacuum tubes, what? If you let me know in a little more detail, I'll do it first thing tomorrow with all the other maintenance/mods I'm doing...

ConFed

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Take the side that usually faces the hard Y pipe and put it in the intake side instead. You'll see what I mean when you take it off - there's only one "other" way to put it back besides the way it came off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did it...

I did this mod, and it worked great! Just remember to plug the MAS back in when you are done ;). Anyway, it is absolutely great, the car feels better than it did before, too.

ConFed

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't have a digital camera, but it really is easy - just pull the BOV and reinstall in the opposite way it came out... very simple, and effective!

ConFed

·
Registered
333 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I just did this after reading it...john M, you are the man! it sounds absolutely great. I haven't noticed any real performance losees or gains, but the sound alone is worth a whole lot more than the 7 mintues it took me to do this.

what I want to know is this: you seem to have a way with experimenting with our cars and reversing things and gettign them to work? I want to hear about some of the things that you tried that didn't work so well....have you had any fantastic failures in the process of discovering free mods?

thanks again!!!

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
Hehe, I'm a complete retard, I don't even know where the BOV is in the car or exactly what it looks like (I have some idea from looking at pics of aftermarket BOVs). That's why I asked for a pic :) Hehe, I'm a loser, but I don't care :D

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
ok.. when you say flipping it, are you refering to the two main hoses that attach to it. change those hoses and that all there is?? Thanks for the great work John.

·
4,613 Posts
hey ed i can do it next week for you should be no problem... maybe take a 1/2 hour I am curious to see the results... do you have an aftermarket airfilter? if not there is no reason to do this till you get one... and it will be easier to install when you do the air filter.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've owned my Stealth for only 6 months but I've owned DSMs for the past 10 years. I was part of Club DSM almost from the beginning - back when the shootout was based from Buschur's backyard and we all fit in 2 hotels. I ran the Southeast chapter from 1994 to spring of 2001.

The BOV mod here is not something I came up with. DSMers used it first in 1995 when the cars started coming with the plastic BOV which is leakier than our units. I tend to remember car-related advice and thought I'd give it a try.

I have two goals: to make my car faster <b>and</b> to share what I learn so that others can do the same. If I can figure out something that's beneficial I want to share it. Most of my info is electrical because of my car stereo background but occasionally I'll come up with something else. I can handle bolt-on mods myself but you won't find me poking around inside the engine (yet). When I start my twin turbo Diamante project we'll see :)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That has got to be the best 10 minutes of mod's I have ever done - period!!!! HUGE diffrence and no more boost goose. The new "Swoosh" is WAY louder and easier to manipulate as you are trying to scare an Acura that thinks he may want to race you...couple swooshes and he decided not to waste his time!!!

Now - question....do you all see any problem with the proximity of the shift linkage to the vaccuum hose???/

This is with out a doubt a must do mod for those of us who procrastinate about a new BOV:D :D :D

1 - 20 of 88 Posts