Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I need to get the car inspected and I'm thinking I'm gonna have some trouble since my reverse lights don't come on when I go in reverse. I've checked the bulbs and they appear to be OK. I also checked the terminals and I'm getting no power to them when the car is put in reverse. Is there some harness on the transmission or something somewhere else that might be unplugged or do you think I may have a short in the wiring itself?

Thanks in advance,

h82luz

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
could the dirty connections on the connector on the tranny. Could also be something else along hte lines of the switch going bad. ID check there first.

·
Registered
459 Posts
very wierd...same thing happened to me but it fixed itself after a month. we have pretty much the same cars also. sorry i wasn't of any help but you never know it might just start working again.

·
Red Dragon
2,071 Posts
hrusky17 said:
very wierd...same thing happened to me but it fixed itself after a month. we have pretty much the same cars also. sorry i wasn't of any help but you never know it might just start working again.
I wouldn't bank on that, I have the same thing, except my lights have never worked. Still trying to find that damn plug on the tranny.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
It's on the top, under about where the battery and MAS are.

It unscrews out of the tranny for quick replacement.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tranny

OK, I've pulled the air intake, mas, batter, y-pipe, and various intercooler hoses, and I can't locate any plug that screws in on top of the tranny. If anybody has some pics of this area, that would help also. I did, however, find a single plug underneath the area of the mas that didn't plug into anything and I can't find where it might be off of either. I also found another plug that looks like it is partially broken off, or at least 1 of its 2 wires appears cut and the plastic shroud is in bad shape also.

Thanks for the help so far,

h82luz

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK

Just so everyone else who has this problem with a 2nd gen car with a 6spd transmission knows, the reverse switch is *NOT* the same as the 1st gen cars. There is no wiring harness that goes into the switch itself. The switch looks rather similar to a spark plug socket and is located on the side of the transmission facing the front of the car. It is accessible by jacking up the car and getting at it from underneath. I also discovered that the old harness that plugs into the reverse switch from the 1st gen cars is still there but that it doesn't plug into anything on the 2nd gen cars. I hope this saves you some trouble. I didn't find this out until after I had pulled apart most of my intake system.

Good luck,

h82luz

Oh, also, if Jeff reads this thread, it would be a good addition to your website since this is such a common problem on our cars.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Oops, never worked on a reverse switch except on the 5 spd. It didn't even occur to me that it would be in a different spot.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No Problem

At least it is posted now where the damn thing is. It is nothing like the 1st gen version though. No wires connected to it or anything. Looks like a spark plug deep socket. Anyway, I tightened down the switch and it still doesn't work. I'm gonna get some carb cleaner and try that and then go buy a new one on my friends business account from the dealer. Only supposed to cost about $11 that way.

Thanks again,

h82luz

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
If you have a switch with no wires connecting to it, that's why the lights aren't coming on. It's got to be connected to <i>something</i> to do the switching.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
apparently not

I checked with the dealership and they said the reverse switch on the 6sp does *not* have any wires that connect to it. Apparently it has some form of internal activation that the switch completes via a mechanical only process. Got me, just trying to get these damn lights working.

h82luz

·
Canada Eh!
523 Posts
uh oh, someone has been sayin somethin wrong!!!

There is a harness for the reverse switch on a 6 speed, I replaced mine myself, alll the switch does is complete a circuit for the lights to turn on, I don't have my manual here now but i think the switch supplies a ground for the circuit. my switch had no continuitity through the pin and the body when in the closed position, so the switch was gone. I didn't bother to repair it i just got a bud in New York to pick one up at a :mitsu:dealer for me, it was like $13us(dam thing was over $45 CAD at a dodge dealer here in St. John's)

The switch was bit of a pain to get off, not a lot of room there, I think I used a 17mm deep socket and but the ratchet on it from underneath while a bud of mine turned the ratchet from above.

Mike:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Weird

This sounds kind of odd, but there is no harness or anything attached to the switch on my car. I would take a picture if I had a digital camera, but I don't. Mine has the part in the picture that screws into the transmission, but that part is also threaded and a solid socket looking switch srews on over it. In the middle of the "socket" is a pin that moves in/out of the socket. This pin seems to be resistant to movement right now, so I'm gonna try to clean it out first. The end of the "socket" was smooth w/ no holes or wires to indicate that there was ever any harness attached to it, plus, like I said, the local dealer said there is not supposed to be any wires attached to mine. Maybe there are a few differences between year models on this subject besides just being 6spd.

h82luz

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
It's a switch but it <i>has</i> to have <i>something</i> to switch. There isn't any wiring inside the transmission. My bet is you've got that harness dangling somewhere under the car.

Checking with the service manual shows a connector called B25 for what they label "backup light switch", a two-conductor connector as pictured in the previous posts.

Page 54-86 in the 1992-1996 Electrical Manual entitled "Chassis Electrical - From 1994 models"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.