Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Robotics Engineer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting new issue.. went to toss some things into the hatch and noticed the tarp for the cargo cover was loose and would not retract.

Took it out to have a look. Removed the two end caps at each end of the folded metal enclosure being held by a pair of Philips screws on each end. One end of the cargo cover has a nylon domed rod which seats against one cap. The other side has a flattened metal rod which seats into the opposing cargo cover cap. The caps have both seating surface features, so they can only inject one part versus two unique designs.

Haven't dug deeper into what could be the issue. The metal rod end, can slide deeper into the rod or slide towards where the cap would be freely. I tried pulling it out but there is some resistance there. Feels as it is being held by a spring which makes perfect sense. Tried "winding" it in either direction, but could not feel a tension building.

Anyone have encountered this before?? To my understanding, these function as pull down window shades except without a ratcheting mechanism. Hopefully nothing has failed inside from metal fatigue.

·
Robotics Engineer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
tried winding with a drill, but it was hopeless. Seems as where the torsion spring seats must of failed or the spring itself. Anyone have any thoughts before I start hacking this bozo apart?

·
Robotics Engineer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was in the same boat as you and now have a bad cargo cover. Gave up and just got another one. Would love to know if you find a solution.
I have a feeling that will be the case with many. Especially being that they are often "tossed" during part outs. I cringe whenever replacing a part that is not genuine to the car the day it rolled off the factory floor. Feels like I'm departing some good luck mojo lol.

Hopefully someone can chime in. I plan to stop into an upholstery shop to address my seats, I'll ask them while I'm there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts