Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Flying Taco
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post and first question about my 95 VR4 that I recently purchased. First off I have to say these are amazing cars and Im hooked. Unfortunately my VR4 did not have a CD player, and I do not own any cassettes so I need to remedy that situation.

I purchased a CD deck, pocket kit (filling in the double-din gap), and the 94+ Mitsu wiring harness from Scosche. I have installed tons of decks without a hitch, but Im hitting a dead end on this install. I have been told by two sources that the only way to bypass the factory amp is to run speaker wires directly from the deck to all the speakers. My wiring harness fits the factory wiring harness, but there are two additional round connectors that I have no way of connecting to, and when I unplug one the sound dies (so I figure that is the amp connector).

Here is the question. Will my deck work with just that square wiring harness connected? Will I need to run separate speaker wires to each speaker? What is the easiest solution to make my deck work? Any help will greatly be appreciated. Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
hmm..very strange.

i have the similar setup as your car. the only problem i ran into was getting the tweeter to work because the amp under the seat is also an overcross for the stock tweeter, i just found the wires and wired them up.

other than that the harness hooked right up and the front and back speakers works right off the new sony deck...

·
Flying Taco
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...but one question

I havent tried the harness yet, but now since I know what to expect that is good. How did you wire the tweeters, did you just split off the front speaker leads and run all the way under the front seat or what? Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
okay..it took me 2 days to figure this out..and i didn't get jack shit help from this board :mad: grrrr...my question was posted an no one answered...

but anyway..here is the knowledge that took 2 days of intensive research ( i read through like 50 different posts and 30 different websites ) and hours of looking at wires with no voltmeter to figure out.

look under your passenger seat, there should be one harness connecting to your amp with like a bunch of different wires. look for 2 red/white, 2 blue/white, 2 red/black, 2 blue/black wires. one of the 2 ( of each color ) should have silver dot, the others do not. match the color up and connect them. that means..red/white goes with red/white with silver dot...etc.

this means that the power going to the front door speaker is now also transfering to the tweeter. you will need a crossover on the receiving end of the tweeter wires but other than that..that's it. you don't have to wire through the dash or anything..at least that's how i did it in my car.

·
Flying Taco
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Ill give it a shot tomorrow. Have a great one. Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
oh yea..its really difficult to work under the seat. use a voltmeter and test it out before cutting anything b/c it will be hell try to figure out the wires later on. and from my research..half the color code on different website on our car doesn't match..( one site will tell u its purple the other will tell you its red). that means...my car wire code *might* be different from yours. be warned ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts