Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally getting around to working on my 1995 SL and I have a PS leak coming from one of the feeder tubes. Based on cost and work, I figured I would just buy a remanufactured one and replace it. Figure I should do the whole front end. So a few questions...
  1. I was thinking about the ball joints also, but those are a high PITA and I also don't want to damage a control arm because they are expensive. I don't have any specific concerns with the ball joint (sounds, clicking, etc) But should I just do it anyway?
  2. Anything else I should take a look at while I am under there?
  3. Any words of wisdom?
Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Mods, feel free to move this to the propper forum sub heading...Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension. Should have put it there to begin with. Thx!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think the steering rack will probably be the hardest to remove. I also think I remember reading that only some of the ball joints are able to be pressed out, while some are built in? Don't quote me on that but It might be worth researching before you buy parts.

Also I made a power steering flush thread because I found the instructions in the manual to be a bit vague. Here's the link. Hopefully it saves you some trouble!

Feel free to message me if anything in the thread needs clarification. Also I would replace the cv-axle, tierods, and sway bar links after you replace the rack and flush the fluid. It can get pretty messy and might as well keep new parts clean.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I have everything out of the car and the new rack up but still struggling a bit with getting the clamps back up.

Overall the process has been pretty straightforward. Thanks for sharing that link, I believe I have stumbled across it before as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
No problem! did you end up putting in a stock 3s rack or something from another car? I only ask because I've always wanted to switch it out for something tighter. I've always been a fan of BMW's steering feel.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem! did you end up putting in a stock 3s rack or something from another car? I only ask because I've always wanted to switch it out for something tighter. I've always been a fan of BMW's steering feel.
I did just go with a stock rack. Guess I didn't even know there were other options! Something to ponder the next time I want to replace it, lol.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I just got everything back together and and I am going to torque down the axel nut I realize the axel/wheel is not spinning...so I take the wheel back off and loosen the nut. I raised the front end and put the car in first and the passenger side is spinning, but nothing on the driver side. I back off the nut and made sure it was not too tight and still nothing. I know the axel was spinning by hand when I was taking it off but now with the new one on, I seems like it is stuck...could this be from trying to torque down the nut while the wheel was off the ground? I'm totally lost and don't feel like pulling apart the front end again until I have a plan. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did some more digging. Looks to be the caliper squeezed on the rotor. All is well! I will get it aligned and get back. But it drove just fine. Wheel is a little of center but a running car with no leaks is a win in my book!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good luck! Hardest part is going to be getting that lock nut backed off the old tie rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts