Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
9B WEAKSAUCE since 2001
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am "attempting" to replace the three center gauges in my 97 VR4. Every post on here that I have seen pertaining to this has made it out to be a moderately easy thing. I am begining to find out to the contrary. The inside of the car proved to be an easy task, however, finding where to splice for a power supply and where to get through the firewall are vexing me still. I would appreciate any information/help that you guys/girls could be giving me on this front.

Thanx,

Eric :)

·
Dope-stoopid yo!
3,606 Posts
What kind of gauges are you installing? Do you have a test light?

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
not sure about where to splice in for the power but there is a hole in the firewall directly above the steering column it has a Rubber plug in it that you can cut a hole in to run the wires and stuff through it. Have you check out Jeff's site www.stealth316.com he has A LOT of info on just about everything you need to know about our cars.
hope that helps some.

·
Dope-stoopid yo!
3,606 Posts
Yes, his site is an invaluable resource for our cars, that's what helped me do my timing belt replacement myself and saved me hundreds. I'm just trying to find out what kind of gauges you're installing so I can tell you what kind of power supply you need to hook up to. Like, constant, ignition, or parking light power. Give some more info & details so I can help you.

·
9B WEAKSAUCE since 2001
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gauges...

Mista Grimm,

I have been going off of one of your old posts to do the work...and it is a great set of instructions for the interior of the vehicle... I am a novice as far as cars goes and the instructions that came with my greddy gauges (boost,oil pres, and water temp) are not enough for me. I am also attempting to hook up my SBC-ID at the same time. I have not taken the whole dash apart, I used the short cut to get the original gauges out. I was wondering if you have kept the original plastic lens in or not, because I do not think it will work with my peak/warning gauge unless I cut holes in it for the buttons. I was going to see how they fit with out the plastic lens. I am having trouble finding where to splice in to which wires for power (inside the car where I will be mounting the brains for the gauges and the SBC-ID and where in the heck to get through the firewall. I found one rubber grommet going into the car on the passenger side underneath the fuel pressure solenoid I believe, but it will be extremely difficult to get a wire through it. I appreciate your help...

Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts