Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
no speed limits here
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that rubber deteriorates with use and as it ages, so, my question is: even though I have only 34K miles on the belt should I replace it early because it is 6 years old?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Steve

·
'94 3000GT original owner
1,610 Posts
I had that same thought about my '94 3KGT w/ 27,850 mi. Doesn't the 60,000 miles [OR] 5 years (whichever occurs first) apply here? It's probably in the manual somewhere.

Bob

·
no speed limits here
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So Bob, what did you do?

It probably is in the manual; I just wanted to get a consensus on whether I really need to change it out early.

Steve

·
'94 3000GT original owner
1,610 Posts
Didn't do anything yet. I will check on it though. Depending on the recommendations from Mitsu I might get the whole 60,000 mile done at 30,000 mi or thereabouts. Let us know if you find out anything also.

·
no speed limits here
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob,

I just checked my owners manual and there's no mention of a time before overhaul. It just states to change every 60k miles.

Unless somebody steps in here, I'm going to plan on changing the belt out at 60k.

The manual does have a note that says, for California this maintenance is recommended but not required. What the heck is that all about? Is CA hoping to get our cars and all cars like them off the road? Strange...

Steve

G

·
Depends on how hard you drive the car. If you floor it all the time, then even at 30K you should change it. But if you drive the car in the city without flooring it much then you probably don't need to change the belt. Remember, it is not just rubber deterition but how much stress you put on the belt as well.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
As usual, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but that's not going to stop me now.

I would guess that the timing belt is not rubber, but probably something a little more high-tech, like Kevlar perhaps. In a day and age when even Harley Davidson uses Kevlar for drive belts, surely Mitsubishi would go for a more durable material inside a glitzy computer-crammed car like ours.

One area where I *do* know what I'm talking about - Kevlar is one mother strong material. My bike's primary and secondary belts are Kevlar, one with ten years and one with 15 years service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.