Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing conflicting statements and just want to get an overall consensus on repairs before i plunk down the cash for a '92 Stealth R/T TT with 48k on the dial. I am in the process of getting the loan and i am curious of future problems to watch out for just so i dont find myself up to my eyeballs in repairs (i had to do this with my MkIII Supra and dont want to find myself in the same position)

Thanks,
CWT

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have put just over 68,000 miles on my 3ks. During that time I've paid $840 for the 60K mile service (including replacing the tensioner). I change my own oil and filter and I don't consider that or the tire cost as reportable. I'd rather pay less for maintenance, but the VR4 is the best performance for the cost I've had, and I've had 3 Porsches and 3 big BMWs).

·
Registered
653 Posts
About $6,000 if you count EVERYTHING (including oil, tranny fluid, etc.) Here's a list of stuff I can think of off the top of my head (and some receipts I have). Keep in mind I knew the car needed a tranny, tires, and 60k service when I bought it):

Tires - 850
Tranny/T-case - 2,000
plugs - 70
magnecore wires - 100
timing belt -110
tensioner - 60
bearings - 40
water pump -75
fuel filter - 25
thermostat - 30
akimoto filter - 85
ATR downpipe - 299
ATR cat back - 699
15G turbos - 1,100
porting of exhaust manifolds - 75
Hallman boost controller - 90
boost guage - 60
A-pillar pod - 30

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A.B.S MOTOR 1000.00(USED)
TIMING BELT 1100.00
PLUGS WIRES 200.00
MICCCELANEOUS LABOUR 300.00
TIRE/BATTERY 300.00
ALL THIS AND MORE WITH ONLY 8000 MILES SINCE I BOUGHT IT BUT IT DOES LOOK PRETTY GOOD EVEN ON A FLATBED BUT SERIOUSLY THIS WAS PROBUBLY DUE IN PART TO THE PREVIOUS OWNER NOT KEEPING THE CAR UP ALSO CANADIEN PRICES IM SURE THERE IS MORE BUT IM IN BRAIN LOCK.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
i paid $10k for my car back in 1996 with 122k miles on it. since then i have paid over $13k and i have a blown motor now. this car is by far the worst financial investment i have ever made. still love it though

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I have a grand total of $164.95 in repair parts on my 92 VR4. I currently have 74K on it.

Now that does not include the oil and oil filter change every 3000 miles. I use Mobil 1 oil and either Pure 1 or Mobil 1 filter (filter are around $7 to $9 each). Nor does this include the $200 for the timing belt, auto tensionor or the other two fan belts I replaced at 60K. Or the fuel filter I replaced at 50K. But those are all preventive maintenance items, not repairs. And should be common sense items.

Oh, I also replaced my wires at 60K with Megnacor wires (@ $130.00) and my Champion Gold spark plugs (@4.00 each).

And then again it doesn't include my Borla cat back, my ATR Downpipe, Drilled rotors, Porterfield pads, after market polished y-pipe, K&N air filter or my HKS EVC-4. And I also can't forget my HKS intercoolers and IC piping.

But to answer your question $164.95 in reapir parts, includes driver side power window assembly and a reverse light switch.

My car has been worth every bit of the $32,000 I paid for it, new. And with only 48K, as long as it shifts smooth and it's in good shape, paint and interior, you should expect nearly the same enjoyment and low cost of ownership.

That means no 5000 rpm clutch drops or speed shifting. You have got to always keep in mine, that these are high horsepowered all wheel driven cars and to hit it hard off the line, could lead to early and costly problems.

Only two other things to look for; 1. have they changed the oil every 3000 miles and 2. Did they use a good oil. Both would show that the car was well cared for.

Hope this helps.

Dave Best
3Si #62

P.S. I forgot the Razo shift knob but I am not counting that stuff, it's just want I wanted to do, for me.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Mike, you might want to clarify that a lot of the stuff you bought wouldn't really count as "repairs" i.e. ATR downpipe, Hallman boost controller, exh.porting etc. 15G's could go either way, since you did need new turbos.

As for me, not too bad so far (in USD)

2 used Comp T/A's : $50
Shifter bag: $20.
Wiper blades $10.
Oil, filter, fuel filter:$30.
Battery (well, I took it out of the vette):$50.
Keyless entry: $30.
Plugs:? Havent bought them yet.
Labor on unsticking active exhaust valve:$0. (they liked my car)
Altogether, not as bad as I would have thought for buying a car with 110k miles. But the speed bug has bitten me, so before I go chasing C5's I'll be getting a K&N, Hallman boost controller, boost gauge and pod, maybe a downpipe (my flex section is ready to go anyway).

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Matt. I've had my car for 5 months now and driven it for maybe 2.5. I paid approx $6000 for the car. I dropped $75 dollars on a suspension mount that ripped off (not sure how), I'm probably ordering a new engine Monday ($2000), I'll be putting in a Dual Friction clutch ($500), I spent $120 on new front wheel bearings. I'm also needing brakes (cryo Porterfields $???). I've got a host of little trim things that are going on (f'd up brake lens for instance). The car will be repainted and have a spoiler added later this year ($1500+). And you can be sure that if GTPro goes to production with the twin turbo kit, I'll start selling blood to buy it.

Would I give it up? Not in a million years.....

(I drive a 91 ES that has been nicknamed "Hangar Queen")

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My total for repairs and maintenance when it was a full time driver (about 12000 miles per year) ran about $1000.00/year. Now that it's a weekend only car, I'm running about $400/year. That includes EVERTHING tires, 60k maintenance, brakes, and the few repairs I've needed.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
91 VR4 (Nov 90 purchase) now 75K mi
Tires - $800-950 every 20K
Dimmer switch - $50
2 Fog lights $100 (a real pain)
60K service -$1100 (everything you can imagine but still a ripoff price)

Do this myself
Frt brake pads and turn rotors - $100K @50K
R brake pads and turn rotors - $80K @65K
Oil/filter - every 3K
Air - every 15K
wiper blades every 2 yrs

Thats it

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have a 91 3000 vr4 my total to date it has about 120000 miles had brand new motor when i bought it three years ago for 10500
two wheel bearings-$200
e-tax controler $200 (my lights would stay on all the time)

clutch -$600
cvboots-$35

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Bought for $9000, in September, with 74,000
spent ($2000) Tranny, ($2000) Clutch, wires, plugs, redline fluids, K&N. ($300) Tires, and I am getting ready to do Shocks (????) cause they are killing my tires!!! Oh, and now I have 85,000 on it... 92 RT/TT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts