Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a cat from a 98 SL, so I am going to remove mine, rip out the insides, and put it back in. If it screws up my car, I am going to put the new one in. Will this give me better sound/ power? I have heard I will lose my low end. My car is an automatic, so its really really slow off the line as it is. 0-60 in 9 or 10 secs.
is this a good idea or not?

thanks
vern
93' 3000gt SL automatic

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
This is a great idea. If you can save all original bolts and everything, you can interchange between the gutted muffler and the new one when you need to get emissions tested. I had an R/T and basically took out my cat and put a straight pipe in it's place. There isn't any low end power loss. The only time when you will get the low end power loss is if you don't have ENOUGH back pressure, Just because you remove some of the back pressure doesn't mean that you will lose power too. Taking out the cat still leaves the pre muffler and resonator and the stock muffler to create backpressure. I know the SL and the R/T are the same car, but the exhaust is probably a little different since you probably have the dual exhaust and the R/T is single. There might even be another resonator on the passenger side tail pipe. This is a cheap way to add some good power. When you get your cat out, try your car out with out putting anything back on. Don't do it too late at night though, cause it's fricken loud! You'll get to feel what everyone is talking about on "low end power loss", but high end gain. When you get to the high end, it'll probably be the most power you'll ever feel in your car. Your car will barely react to the gas pedal when you are at a stand still, but you'll hear it. THen when the RPMs get up, your car will tell you to sit down and take off. I loved it except for the smell and the noise. The only bad things I didn't like when you take out the cat is the exhaust stinks, and you can smell it if you have your windows down and you are not moving. The other thing is that I had a pearl white stealth, and it discolored about an 8inch patch on the bottom edge of my bumper above the tail pipe. I didn't even notice it though until I was washing it one day and I had my head upside down when I was washing the back. Extending the tail pipes if you can should help this problem. I know on mine they are held on by one bolt, but I don't know how much further they will come out. I think you should go ahead and try this. You'll like it for sure. If for some reason you don't, then put on you rnew cat.

Jason
92 Stealth R/T TT

1 - 2 of 2 Posts