Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Speed Junkie
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could give me some good tips for removing rust and rapainting one of my trucks. It has alittle rust on the back quater panel and I wanna know how to patch this and fix it and then Im going to sand and primer everything and then have a shop paint/clear coat it for me. Any helpful advice or links to how to would be very appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
If it's just surface rust, sanding it down then applying bondo, resanding, and continuing until it's good and smooth is all you should need to do

·
Registered
76 Posts
You'll never get rid of all the rust ... unless you grind to fresh metal. So make sure you use "rust red" primer (brown in color) instead of "clean metal" primer (gold in color) initially.

1) grind, wire brush, and sand everything. Cut and re-weld to plug any holes.
2) use rust red primer on all (make sure you get into any small pits which might be left).
3) sand again to get to fresh metal on the flat surfaces for the bondo to stick. (in this way you are covered if you have a few pits).
4) Bondo.
5) From this point on you can use clean metal primer ... Don't let raw metal sit exposed, always prime it and re-sand later if need be.

Jood Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts