Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I'm Back
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive taken off the plenum, intake manifold, and timing belt (and obviously everything necessary to take the timing belt and intake manifold off).

what else do i need to take off/disconnect?

exhaust manifold? water pump or water pump bracket? thermostat?

chris

·
Big C
1,511 Posts
exhaust manifolds, thermostat housing, and water pump.... you might have to remove exhaust cam gears too, 'cause there's a "bracket" that goes between the two head on the water pump side.

Just be thankful you don't have to take off turbos as well :rolleyes: .... I did this w/ the engine in the car but if I could do it again I would've just taken the engine out to begin with and done it all on an engine stand which was definitely a LOT easier when it came to RE-assembly. Don't ask me why I did this though 'cause I did not blow a head gasket and was too stupid to have my cylinders honed out, replace bearings, rings, and stem seals.... yep again... if I could do it again(maybe I wouldn't be burning oil, but on the other hand I do have all new gaskets :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
902 Posts
Very fun project !! I went out and bought air tools and a compressor, just for this project ! I took turbos and all off, I'm still waiting to get the heads back from 3kgt motorsports, it had bent valves, and I desided ferrea racing valves were the best "replacement". I hope its not too much more "fun" RE-Asembling, I'm having a PRO come by my house and set the cam gears with the crankshaft b/c I don't want to screw up and pay another $560+labor to replace bent valves.

·
curt93T/T
5,079 Posts
you don't have to take out the water pump. you have to take off the exhaust/intake manifold. You also don't need to take off the cams, you can take them off later. There is a bracket between the heads that you have to take off.

·
I'm Back
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wqeoefn

im taking off the front head

i took off the fron exhaust cam because that bracket behind the water pump had a bolt in it that was unreachable without taking the cam gear or camshaft off. so i took the cam and gear off attached to each other.

as for the exhaust manifold/turbo...whats easier? disconnect the turbo from the manifold and pull the head out with the manifold? or disconnect the manifold from the head and pull the head out?

chris

ps - TTAWD3S: how much is this "pro" charging to line everything up right? do you think its that hard? or you just dont trust yourself?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Its not that I don't trust myself ( kinda ), but it is just too great of a risk for me to take. If you have a pro do it and spend $50, then it will be well worth the money. I spent $1200 on replacing the valves, I don't intend on taking the heads off EVER again. I can time my sohc civic first time, everytime, but the quad cam stealth with a $1200 valve job, isn't something I'm gonna screw up. I'm not sure how much he's gonna want ( if he even takes the money, he's a family freind ), but I figure $50 is more than enough for him to just put the cams/crank in-time, slap the belt on and say goodnight.

I'm not sure on the quickest or the best way to take the heads off, but I went by the service manual, step by step, and it says take turbos and manifolds off, one by one. Hopefully I'll get 20 or more HP from the ferrea valves, but I'll just be glad to drive the car for the first time. Its going back together stock ( even though I have all the mods sitting and waiting ), but I don't want to leave a sensor unplugged or something, and think it is one of the mods making it run funny ( if it does ).

I would replace the head bolts ( even though a lot of people don't), its worth the extra cost, for the piece of mind it will give you.

Attachments

·
I'm Back
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oil passage?

i dropped the 10mm hex socket in some kind of hole on the top of the head. is it an oil passage? whatever it is, where does it go?

·
curt93T/T
5,079 Posts
Which hole? Did you hear it go clunk? If so you might want to get a long magnet and scope out your oil pan.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
ttawd3s, How much is the headwork and oversized valves running you and what is the turn around time

·
Registered
902 Posts
I was told $900 for everything. After the work was completed I was notified the the heads "had" to be milled and "had" to be presure checked, which are both good ideas, but added money to the bottom line, and I didn't REALLY have $900 to spend in the first place. My heads also need new valve guides.
valves guides $24
ferrea 1mm oversized valves $560
machining the head and 5 angle valve job $360
decked head $60
presure check $70
shipping both ways $95

Now do you understand why I'm not taking ANY chances with cam timing ?

I was told $900 for everything but a lot wasn't figured into it. the total was $1229.99 after a $20 discount b/c of the time I ordered them. $1200 was far from $900, but I know it is done as good as it can be done ( minus the porting of the heads ).

I wasn't mad about the turn around time, b/c I still don't have the money for the $300 head gasket kit, but I was told after I sent the final payment that my heads would be sent off that week ( on a Thursday ). 12 days later I email rasheed, asking for a tracking number, two days later I get one and check. The heads were sent out the day AFTER I sent the e-mail asking for a tracking #, so I'm still waiting for them... It will be a little over 2 months that my heads have been gone ( maybe longer ), before I recieve them. I'm willing to wait though, I do have 4 cars.. I'm ready to get it done though, I just lost $20 to a guy in a f#(king VOLVO !!! He smacked my civic ( I think the bottle froze up) and its 39 degrees outside and hes got a turbo, his car was only supposed to run mid16s, but he smacked my "much faster" honda some how... I'm really ready for a AWD TT destroyer !!!:mitsu: :dodge:

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts