Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have another one that I have been pondering for a while so if I get flamed and made fun of for this one, at least I will know the answer and it can stop bothering me.
You know how our cars ration is not that good. That is why we have more weight in the front and that is also why our front calipers are larger. Well, I was thinking why don't we try to readjust this? We lower our cars anyway and I was thinking that we could lowered our front one inch and lowered the rear two inches then shouldn't the weight of the car shift some to the rear? This should look too uneven either since I plan on putting a front lip on, thus the front looks lowered. We should be able to get better handling too from this. What do you guys think?
If you don't know what I am talking about, think of it as two guys holding a couch, with one at each end. If one guy is holding it higher, the other guy actually holds more weight. Or think of the two guys going up the stairs. The guy at the bottem is left holding all the weight right? So would this work on our cars?

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
It sounds good....and I'm not sure about the handling though. I've seen muscle cars set up like this so that when they launch the rear end comes up but doesnt come up as much.
And those cars dont handle good and I am pretty sure if you want to do 130mph or something in your car then a 1 inch different may affect how the air goes under the car...with it not being even...but im not sure.
If you want a car that can handle and drift good...go with a miata or mr2.

-Jeff

·
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Darktrails, that is not what I am talking about. The muscle cars that you see have a raised rear, I said to drop the rear more not raise it. All the best cars like the Farrie Modena and Porsh have like 50/50 or something close to that. Their handling is one of the huge factors that make that such great cars.
O, by the way, I got the ideal cause I used to be a dock supervisor and had to balance trailers as best I can.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
ohh yea...oops..Wasnt paying attention now i feel stupid :(
Yes..I know having a 50/50 wieght distribution is what you want.

I would say try it but also try losing as much wieght in the engine and front of the car as possible. CF hood...lightwiegh driveshaft...and anything else you can get to wiegh less.

-Jeff

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
It all comes down to center of gravity of the car.....ideally it would be 50/50. CG as you may or may not know is a function of weight times an arm (distance from arbitrary datum....usually about where the driver sits). By raising/lowering the car, you are not actually moving weight, therfore are not changing the CG. Lowering the car gives you better handling because of less inertial roll, but does NOT change the CG. The only way to change CG is to MOVE weight fore or aft of the datum, or add/remove weight. Now what I think you are referring to is inertia and load. You need to think of the car balancing free in mid air. A 50/50 weight distribution would allow the car suspended in air at it's CG to remain perfectly level. If the car is moving forward...well a body in motion will remain so until acted upon by external force....in this case being the brakes. Since the car is moving forward....when the brakes are applied the LOAD FACTOR moves forward ahead of the CG and the majority of the load is placed on the FRONT brakes. That is why ALL cars have most of their stopping power in the front. As for launching....FWD or not, the front end will raise due to 2 forces.....the initial tendency for the car to remain at rest, and the torque actually pushing up on the struts. BY lowering the rear lower than the front, you are setting yourself at a disadvantage because load shift is already going to be pushed toward the rear (that is why most drag racers raise the ass end). If the rear is already lower, well that will allow the front to come up proportionately higher and not only will you loose directional control momentarily, but with a FWD car you will loose CRITICAL traction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts