Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 3 sets of ECS Struts piled up most of which are blown/weak and they all are technically in my scrapyard pile to be tossed...

I was talking to a good ol' hot rodder who was talking about how back in the day they would drain the oil out of their shocks, and refill with thicker oil for increased dampening (Or the same)

I recently ditched the coilovers on my one car to go back to ECS + Tein Springs and I absolutely love it, I forgot how good that combo is...

Anyone have any thoughts on doing something like this? Most of what I've found is drilling a hole, draining old oil, adding new oil, bleeding/pumping the air out, then welding the hole shut...

My main concern is if you have a bad seal which is one of the reasons these struts go bad anyways - You'll just push all the fresh oil out, but I guess it can thin and breakdown over time as well even without leaking...

I'm sure it won't be long before ECS Struts become unavailable from Vendors/Mitsubishi, Would be nice to know its an option to have yours refilled when that day comes...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was excited about ecs strut rebuild, too. I was even thinking about shorten the length of travel to compensate with the lowering springs. But they are filled with pressurize gas also, that we don't have equipment to do it.

17,365 Posts
I was excited about ecs strut rebuild, too. I was even thinking about shorten the length of travel to compensate with the lowering springs. But they are filled with pressurize gas also, that we don't have equipment to do it.
They have to be able to weld on a schrader type valve to pressurize them. DG talked about it for bilsteins on his site.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the ECS struts were Oil Filled? STIM uses the word "Oil" at least, and on several of the blown struts there is a grease/dirt build up that looks like oil or something that has leaked out of the strut over time...

http://www.stealth316.com/images/stim/tim_02-12.gif

Would definitely be important to confirm if it is gas or oil filled...

·
Money pit owner.
2,645 Posts
i bought a new set of ECS shocks from ninja performance and now I'm saving the old set of ecs struts with the hope they can be saved/rebuilt.it seems to me the car is sitting higher with the new ECS shocks.

subbing for updates.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personally I think for what I do and plan to do with this car, the stock dampening is perfect - but would be a nice option to have a easy way to increase the overall dampening. This car specifically is not a race car, and will only see very casual track use, so I don't want to get into anything very race car like since I just ditched my coilovers to go back to ECS (which are forsale for the low price of $350 shipped to the 48 by the way)

Really I'm just looking for an alternative way to save ECS Struts since lets face it - There is only a limited supply of them...

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,125 Posts
I thought the ECS struts were Oil Filled? STIM uses the word "Oil" at least, and on several of the blown struts there is a grease/dirt build up that looks like oil or something that has leaked out of the strut over time...

http://www.stealth316.com/images/stim/tim_02-12.gif

Would definitely be important to confirm if it is gas or oil filled...
They are oil filled but they are also pressurized with a gas to keep air bubbles from forming in the oil as it gets forced through the tiny orifices. This is standard practice and gets called "gas charged"

·
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!
8,814 Posts
They are oil filled but they are also pressurized with a gas to keep air bubbles from forming in the oil as it gets forced through the tiny orifices. This is standard practice and gets called "gas charged"
And thats why you cant just refill them. There were some struts out in the real world that you unscrewed the old top and threw away the seal/piston/shaft and replaced it with a cartridge. Not applicable on this platform though.

-SP

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've seen some people do inserts, and the struts being sold/on cars with inserts - but I don't feel like any of the inserts out there outperform the ECS... plus they aren't ECS..

That sucks though :(

·
Creator of weird stuff...
4,116 Posts
Thats funny cause when I torn my ECS strut apart to see how the mechanism inside worked, there was no gas inside when I drilled into them, just oil.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
well the gas charge would be in the shock on the opposite side of the shaft, not actually in the same chamber with the oil. tell tale sign would be a divider on the bottom of the oil tube.

i dont see why this idea wouldnt work, im sure a strut rebuilding place could do it. the ecs shocks cant be the ONLY ones to use that size seal too..

·
Street Modified Godfather
157 Posts
So I got one apart - video this weekend.

Some highlights:

1. These are gas-charged, twin-tube shocks;

2. They are not user-serviceable. The upper seal is crimped in place.

3. The internals are freaking *gorgeous*. Not a cost-reduced part *anywhere*.

4. The motor for the adjuster lives in the shaft.

5. The adjuster is a 2-way low-speed bleed adjuster that uses a pair of metered bypass orifices. Very slick.

6. It has shimstacks on the piston and on the foot valve, and a pretty hefty blowoff spring.

·
Street Modified Godfather
157 Posts
I'd be very interested in seeing what you do with them DG.
Buy new ones and bolt them on. ;)

Not user modifiable. No way to refill or recharge. No way to modify to be refillable/rechargeable (they are twin tubes). Complete bespoke design.

Video is rendering now. No fire (this time) but I got the motor to chooch while apart.

·
<3's lapping days
3,275 Posts
Sounds like one skookum choocher.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts