Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally did the transmission fluid swap on my 92 Stealth ES 5-speed. The old transmission fluid was pretty brown and cloudy, so we are guessing that it has never been changed (poor transmission!) anyways, so I put 1 quart of MT-90, 1 of MTL, and then filled the rest up with MT-90, and voila! Transmission shifts like butter! There's still some notchiness but I think it's slowly going away. Either way, if you have an older 3S and you don't know what to do about your crappy transmission, GET REDLINE OILS! They really work

:D

·
Registered
636 Posts
how many quarts did you put into your car? When I changed my fluids I changed it to royal purple, but I didn't know where the fill hole was so I unscrewed the top of the tranny and filled it up there. I don't know if I toped it off or not? There is a canister that is located at the top right of my car that is label clutch? But when I drained the tranny fluid the lvl did not seem to decrease. So I thought it had nothing to do with the tranny? Did I drain it completly wrong? but I have been driving my car for a month now and nothing feels wrong, except gear 2-3 syncro is going to go soon. Sorry for long post....

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, well I wish I would have taken a picture.. what I did was turn the steering wheel completely to the right, then jack up the right (passenger) side of the car. Then put some newspaper down, get under there (might want to put some jackstands up just in case) and you should see the transmission close to the wheel. There are some big bolts there (the drain plug is 24mm if I remember correctly, the fill plug should be .. 14mm?) so we used a ratchet to take off the fill plug. It is the one that is looking forward (it's right in front). It should be the only one. Mine had red paint around the area too, so that helps if yours does (might be a factory thing?).. when I filled it up (it took about 2/3 quart of the last MT-90 I'd say, a little less..) the fill plug started overflowing. So we let it all drain and that's full. You can stick your pinky (if you have a small one) into the fill plug and if you feel transmission fluid up there, i'd say it's ok. You might want to just open that up and put some more fluid in until it starts to overflow (get an oil tub or something!:)

Hope that helps anyone on the process. It's really simple.

·
Registered
636 Posts
hmm maybe i should look for that fill plug and make sure I filled it up i used about 2 1/2 quarts total? does this sound right?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I think Matt Monet (I ordered from Dynamic) said that there were 2.7 quarts in the tranny. So as long as it's full you're good to go, I wouldn't worry about measuring or anything.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I remember you did a RT conversion like 2 months ago? how much was it again?

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It cost me all in all around 1500. No front end though. I don't think that's too bad for new side skirts and rear bumper. Keep in mind this is without labor costs, I put everything on with the help of my dad.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Umm did you replace it because you were in a rear collision or becaues it looks cool?! hehe because that is alot of money ... or to me it is ... Do you like the results though? and did it fit right into place? any modifications or trouble ?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it's pretty cheap compared to what it could have been :) No I did it with my own money. I think it looks much better, trust me, if you had a base/ES, you would know what I'm talking about.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
This should explain it pretty well
I switched to redline as well and i will continue using it. Its 2.4L of fluid in there. You just fill it to the fill hole when it starts to dribble out you are good to go.

-Jeff

·
Registered
636 Posts
hahaha i didn't fill it using that hole... i used a hole on top of the tranny... hmm seemed to work ???? haha i'll check the lvl later again tommorrow

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
This hardly proves RedLine!

><i>The old transmission fluid was pretty brown and cloudy [...]filled the rest up with MT-90, and voila! Transmission shifts like butter!</i>

This is like not bathing for ten years, and then taking a bath with Ivory soap, and concluding that Ivory soap is much better than the soap you used ten years ago!

No matter *what* you put in your tranny, as long as it's clean, of <b>course </b> your tranny is going to shift better if the old fluid was filthy.

And, yes, use jackstands. Unless you want a permanent imprint of the oil pan on your crushed skull. Like the NRA teaches with gun safeties, a jack is a mechanical device, and like any mechanical device, it can fail.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
I only used the jack that came with the car. And when I filled it my car was perfectly level :)

-Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts