Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Gear Head
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched from Mitsu gear oil, what ever they use, to redline 75w-90 gear oil in the tranny, transfer, and rear end for my 94 VR-4. It is does fine when it warms up. But I thought this stuff said it would give you easier shifting when it was cold. It is right around freezing where I live in the mornings now. Even just before it got cold here it was still a little harder to shift once I switched. I like being able to feel it go into gear but not at the expence of harder slower shifting. What's the deal? This stuff was expenceive for me and I have to say I am dissapointed. :(

·
Registered
566 Posts
i agree, i got redline put in my tranny, and since it seems that the shifting is more notchy. ld shifting is worse. i wish i would not have switched. it was expensive too, like 7.00 a bottle.

·
Twin Power Pellets
9,372 Posts
I think you were supposed to mix MTL with the MT-90...

there was a thread in the past suggesting people to mix a bit more of one of the solutions to resolve the notchiness.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Brett, since I am having warrenty issues with my tranny, I talked to Frank at Kormex about what fluid to use. He told me SAE30 motor oil is his recomendation for the Getrag transaxle. I think I am going to try it when I install my new tranny next week. I have heard that Redline MTL is about the same viscosity as 30 weight oil, so maybe I will go that route instead. I am mostly concerned about the ring and pinion, because I feel that they really need an extreme presure lubricant, and motor oil is not extreme presure.

Ray
3SI member 1222

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
If it's hard to shift when cold then up the ratio of MTL to MT-90. If you get to the point where you're using straight MTL then I can't help you! :p

·
reason for tickets.......
1,039 Posts
So is straight MTL bad for the tranny?

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
If you change the ratio of MTL to MT-90 to include more MTL then the normal 50/50; cold shifting will become easier. Once you get to the point where you're running straight MTL and it's still notchy when cold then that means you have other problems than just the fluid quality/type.

V

·
0 Posts
I use 50/50 mix of MTL and MT-90,and I can feel the difference!!
My tranny shifts very smoothly in the cold weather.Make sure
you get the right amount and the right mixture.I definitely
recommend Red Line MTL and MT90 for our Getrag tranny.

·
1,039 Posts
I second that motion. All in favor say "Aye!".

"Aye!"

man am I tired.... time for bed

V

·
0 Posts
newfoundglory said:
I second that motion. All in favor say "Aye!".

"Aye!"

man am I tired.... time for bed

Hahaha...I also want to say "AYE!"

Guess what,I need some sleep too....:D

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts
Brett,

75w-90 gear oil is fine for the rearend but I don't believe it is GL-4 rated, which is what our transaxle needs. I would drain it soon for that reason alone.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Simple - don't use Red Line products in the tranny. Use BG Syncroshift and enjoy the shifting you were expecting in the first place.

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
I had BG synchroshift in all drivetrain cases after my engine rebuild - Jan 1999, 55K on car. I changed all drivetrain cases to Red Line this Spring (59K miles). I have 63K miles on car now. I did not notice any change in shifting or cold weather use between BG and Red Line. My short experience is that neither one is better than the other. Hard to tell in the long run and without scientific inspection of parts.

I did recently change the 13-year old factory trany fluid in my Mitsu 4-banger pickup (55K miles) to Red Line. Shifting and colder weather use improved markedly! That damn trany is like super stiff in winter. I even broke the gear shift arm in half one winter trying to jam it into gear. Smooth as butter now. :)

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
My Mitsu dealership uses BG Sync when they do my changes, and my tranny shifts great after about 40,000 miles. I started changing the fluid every year.

Sam

·
Gear Head
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FYRBALL MT - Let me know about how your Kormax work out. And also what type you end up useing. Does the Kormax have a VCD in it? If it does then GL-4 or 5 should I used I believe.

BLACK94TT - The 75w-90 Redline I am usseing is GL-5 approved. Which means it is good for GL-4 also.

Jeff Lucius - What type are you useing now?

I have never heard of a gear oil needing a "break-in." How many of you out there are useing 75w-90, MTL, or MTL90? The dealer manual recomends 75w-90 GL-5. That is why I chose the redline 75w-90. Does anyone think a switch to the MTL would work? It has warmed back up here, in the seventies, and it is still just as hard to shift when I first drive.

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
Bret Brinkmann said:
I switched from Mitsu gear oil, what ever they use, to redline 75w-90 gear oil in the tranny, transfer, and rear end for my 94 VR-4.
You used the same oil in the transmission and transfer case that you used in the rear differential? You are supposed to use the 75w-90 gear oil for the rear differential only. Use MTL and/or MT90 for the transmission/transfer case. Perhaps this is your problem.:eek:

The gear oil looks like cooking oil and smells like sulfur. MTL/MT90 is reddish in color and does not have such a pungent odor. I'm sure you will remember what you put in the transmission and transfer case.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Brett, I have decided to use straight MTL redline in my new tranny. I was using Valvoline 75W90 synthetic GL5 gearlube mixed with about 30% Lucas oil stabilizer. I think that was a mistake, but I don't believe that is what caused the second gear syncro to go out. I can't figure out what caused it, because I drove the stock tranny very hard for 8 months without a problem. I lost the stock tranny because I missed a shift into second, BAD. I have found out that the Getrag tranny requires GL4, and that GL5 dosen't supercede GL4. Somthing about GL5 being corosive to brass syncros, but that shouldn't have been a factor in losing second gear in 2 weeks. Even though Frank recomends straight 30w, I am concerned about it not being an EP(extreme presure) lube, and I feel that the ring gear in the differential needs an EP lube, so it is time to order some Redline. BG syncromesh sound like it might be a good choice also, does anyone know how thick it is?

Ray
3SI member 1222

·
1,039 Posts
Hey guys, I am in the process of rebuilding my tranny. I've got it all torn apart now, and when I get it back together, what do you recommend I use? I want the nicest stuff that will keep my parts lubed up nice and well (no pun intended). Anyway, just 50/50 or is anything better recommended?

·
og
4,293 Posts
i use bg synchro and it works just fine by me, equal to the redline mix in my opinion. don't remember the thickness, hafta get back to ya on that one.

- mike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts