Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know that when the Brake Calipers' t-shape cross spring ( AWD model, Brake Caliper Type M-R66Z - 4 Pistons type) was fitted upside down, it can caused "Intermittent CLICK-CLACK" funny noise?

My GTO's Rotors was skimmed and New Brake Pads fitted 10 days ago. Great - braking straight now; no more wobbling steering when braking; feels good.

5 days ago I heard a funny Click-Clack noise coming from the front. Not loud kind of noise but it is similar to those noises from bad ball-joints, bushings, rods or shafts but this Click-Clack only comes intermittently and each time lasts about a second or so.
Few more turns and traffic lights, it comes back again for a second or so. It sounded metal-ish and annoying at the same time feared expensive parts is going bad. It didn't occur immediately after skimmed rotors and new brake pads, brakes is least a suspect to me.

Checked www.stealth316.com (thanks to Jeff Lucius again) and found the pictures of the Front Brake Disc and when compared to mine, my Brake Calipers' "t-shape cross spring", both seems to have fitted upside down. Took out the 2 front wheels and re-fitted the both left & right cross spring and the Click-Clank is now gone.

This t-shape spring (called Cross Spring) has a thumb-size Curve Section and held on by 2 Pad Pins at both ends. The Curve section of the cross spring should be at the bottom.

(I supposed it's quite normal to have fitted the cross springs upside down as it still fit nicely but wrongly though)

Never knew that such a minor fitment error can cause this elusive Click-Clack noise. Fortunately, just a careless non-critical minor error. But will certainly be extra careful in future.

Subsequently, I was told by a Supra owner he has had the same noise before and it's also his front brake calipers' cross springs fitted upside down by his mechanic. So, I reckon, all cars having Brake Calipers' Cross Springs fitted updown have similar symptoms.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hummm...interesting! I have that same intermit noise also. I will have to check that out! Nice observation!!!

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts