Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Went through quite a few pages but nothing really current with working links, just a lot of threads about issues and how to install an mbc.

I know technology and companies come and go as the years go by so I wanted to see what you guys are running. After quite a few maintenance stuff done here and there and getting some autometer gauges, I found out I was running wastegate pressure at about 5psi. I expected this since I saw that my boost solenoid and everything was bypassed. I held off on it to get other maintenance stuff done first.

I ruled out ninjaperformance mbc (although I've heard nothing but good things about them). It's adjustment by wrench only isn't to my liking.
Open to ebc's, a lot of them seem to come with a boost gauge built in which makes my just bought boost gauge useless (live and learn). But, open to all.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
578 Posts
My car had a super basic MBC on it when i bought it in 2007. It still runs the same MBC to this day. It is as you described - you need to loosen a bolt and turn a tiny allen screw to turn boost up and down. It is an archaic way to control boost by today's standards, but it works completely fine, and i have never had any overboost, surge, or other issues. If you want a cheap set it and forget it solution, MBCs are fine. If you want to be able to run multiple maps, switch on the fly, etc, consider a EBC. Just depends on your goals.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,002 Posts
You should also specify your budget in addition to the aforementioned goals.

The NP MBC is a cost effective solution even without the shim. Having previously used it, you can un/lock and adjust it without a wrench. Other tried and true brands include Turbosmart and Hallman; I use the latter. The above mentioned are all ball-and-spring style as opposed to bleeder.

EBC is a tough one since that is almost completely personal preference sans the unique features. Older models, such as the HKS EVC EZ II, lack a display and have a simple solenoid and dial controller. Like many from this era, they are limited to how much boost can be controlled.

The A'PEXi AVC-R is another solid option that does not fall into the gauge/controller category e.g. AEM Tru-Boost. It is similar in appearance to the A'PEXi S-AFC I and can be hidden inside the glove box or center armrest. Typical PWH (peak/warn/hold) feature of the electronic variety. Advanced features include boost by gear, if set up for it.

Everything new will usually have a brain box of some sort that connects to the display controller. Somewhat older ones, such as Blitz DSBC SPEC S/R and GReddy PRofec B-Spec, have smaller standalone display controllers but less advanced features than the latest offerings.

Alternatively, you can just install upgraded wastegates with specified springs - simplest option.

Hopefully this helps. I have used every brand and model that I mentioned and then some on many cars. Pick your poison heh.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
112 Posts
LCDBC made and sold by Blackstealth right here on 3si. It is a great all-in-one type deal that is a boost controller, logging tool, scans/clears check engine lights, wideband O2 display, and a few other useful features. The price is $230 for the unit and requires a MAC boost solenoid that is around $30. Installation is very simple, and you control everything with an included rotary knob so you can adjust your settings very easily.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies. Budget isn't much of an issue but I certainly won't spend 500+ on it. I've seen the turbosmart but not hallman, will look into those. Blackstealth sounds like a good option too, will see if they are still around.

Keep them coming if there is still others not mentioned anyone else recommends.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,114 Posts
I have the SBC-iD in both of my cars and love them. That said I bought them years ago before Blackstealth starting producing all his fantastic items.
I love his idea, but I don't think I'd be that fond of tearing apart my speedo for his screen, just sayin...

Bob.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the SBC-iD in both of my cars and love them. That said I bought them years ago before Blackstealth starting producing all his fantastic items.
I love his idea, but I don't think I'd be that fond of tearing apart my speedo for his screen, just sayin...

Bob.
You don't have to cut into the speedo to mount it. He makes several 3D printed mounts for it that put it in places like an AC vent, the coin holder, and a few other places. When I got mine he included a steering wheel mount and I've basically just wedged it between the top of the steering column and the dash. It works great and actually looks pretty good too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts