Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally gathered the funds to order the RPS carbon single disk and it will be arriving shortly. I plan on getting it installed over Christmas break which is in 2 weeks. I need someone to recommend me a shop in Houston (preferrably), Dallas, Austin shit I'll take it just about anywhere in TX if I can have faith that they know our cars WELL and wont screw up an expensive clutch. :)

I'd also prefer not to take it to a tuner shop since I purchased it elsewhere and wouldnt want to risk detailed attention to be absent during the install because of this.

(I have considered taking a trip to Alamogordo but I dont think the clutch I have now would make it!!)

Anyways I'm open to ANY recommendations. I'm not going for "cheap labor" but "HIGH QUALITY" labor so hopefully someone could point me in the direction of a good place......

·
I am the 1.85% =
2,362 Posts
Might sound crazy, I know it did to me.

Spend like $250 on all the tools and do it yourself. I would never have even considered doing it myself, but other board members encouraged me to do it and it was a success! Not only will you know that you took your time and did it right, but you will have saved yourself hundreds on labor which you could spend on something else.

For complete detailed intructions with pictures, visit www.stealth316.com

Really give it some thought. I couldn't install a testpipe (4 bolts) but I jumped into this project and did it!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really considered this and anything non-tranny related I do tackle myself. I have been told by several people that a lift is pretty much required for this project which is something I dont have access to, and I'd be pretty cautious about doing this w/ a floor jack and some stands. I dont know I may end up talking myself into trying since I will have the time over Christmas break....

·
Puts Out On 1st Date !
6,397 Posts
Do it yourself. I had never replaced a clutch before. I did mine on the Stealth. It took about 9 hours total. I used 2 floor jacks, 2 jack stands and for a tranny jack I went to Sam's club and bought an ATV lift/jack. It was only about 50 or somewhere in that area.

If you have an air compressor and air tools it will be that much easier.

·
Registered
126 Posts
ctc motorsports or powerhouse racing

call ctc motorsports at 214 575 7474 they do all of jeff's work on his spyder, and there is powerhouseracing.com check them out they do good work as well, a lot of bad ass cars!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd prefer not to take it to any tuner because of the reason stated in the first post. Thanks for the responses though.

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
Call Bumbera's 281.493.9300

Ask for Kenny Bumbera.

They are in west Houston and while they don't specialize in our cars, they are a REAL race shop. I go there for anything performance related that I don't feel I can or want to handle on my own.

Go over there and look around, you will soon realize that our cars are a piece of cake compared to the race cars and drag cars they build and service. Take a camera, you won't believe some of the stuff sitting around over there.

Nice guys and fair prices, a good combination.

<edit> I take my parts over there all the time, they don't mind where you get your stuff from.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I remember someone else (maybe you) mentioning this place in another thread and I already have the number as one of the "possibilities." I'm heading to Houston on tues or wed of this week and will definately stop by and check out their shop. Thanks

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
They are at Highway 6 south and Memorial Drive. Just a mile or so south of I 10.

Very professional, the best performance shop I know of in Southeast Tejas. They race their own stuff as well and they are meticulous with every item. Plus they don't mind you being right in the middle of stuff as long as you don't slow them down. I've learned quite abit just talking to them and watching as they worked on my cars.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cool, appreciate the info I'm definately gonna swing by.

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
I thought Dynamic Racing was in TX. I know its a tuner, but think he'd do you right.

LW

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah Dynamic Racing is in Alamogordo, NM which is why my first post says that I've considered the drive from TX to there, but I dont think my stock clutch would make it. I bought the RPS carbon single from Matt and would have no problems or worries whatsoever about them doing the work but the drive........shit I just might have to take a road trip and quit whining about it:D

·
Spyder
247 Posts
I'll second that recommendation for CTC in Dallas. They frequently install parts bought elsewhere (impossible to avoid that with the advent of the Internet) and all of their cars that I know of come out great. Also they're different than most shops because most of their work is project cars, not bolt-on stuff.

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
eh, you mean NM isn't part of Texas? lol

Ok, missed that one. If all else fails, take the parts to a dealer and have them install it, is not the cheapest option but at least you know that they work on these vehicles and they can do the job correctly. That was my reasoning for having them do most of my recent work, mainly that I didn't know the reputations of other shops in the area and wanted someone experienced to put the tt clutch in right the first time. So far so good, 5k miles on new clutch and new engine, wasn't cheap though.

Lord Warlock

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.