Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an infinity factory stereo in my 95 TT with the cassette/eq combo and a 6 disc changer in back(which most of you I am sure already know.) I want to take the factory receiver out and put in a receiver from my buddy's 97 VR4 (cassette/single cd combo). My question is, will the new deck work with the factory changer?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
by the way, the deck I am putting in is a factory VR4 deck.

·
Registered
595 Posts
head unit

I have done half of what you are doing. I put the 97 deck in my 94 and the deck works fine. Problem is, I don't have a CD changer to check this out on. I did buy a 10 disc changer from a 97 and the cables from the deck to the changer are different since my car is a 94. I would suggest that you pull out your CD changer and try hooking it up to your friends deck in his car or vice versa. The decks are super easy to swap in and out in our cars.

h82luz

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The main reason why is because I wante to be able to put cds in without having to go into the trunk plus I like the look of the factory double din cd/cassette player. My friend just sold his VR4 (supernatural if you want to look up the forsale thread) so I can't check. I know that you can hook up the cd player and it'll work, but I dont know if it will work with the factory changer, and I wanted to check it out first before I went to the trouble. If I hook it up and it doesn't work I might just leave it in and take the changer out (and sell it to you:) )

·
Registered
595 Posts
Me??

I won't need it anymore. I'm pulling the entire stock system out here soon. I've already got an Eclipse 5605 in dash 6 disc changer that will be going in. I'm actually going to be selling my 97 head unit after that though.

h82luz

·
Registered
326 Posts
whoa, would that Eclipse system you're talking about work for my system, using the stock amp and speaker???

WhiteFrightTT, can you PM me when you make a decision. Thanks. If i buy it, I'll want the wiring the brackets also. Thanks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think you could wire just the head unit into your existing system if you wanted to. It doesn't provide any power on it's own, so you do still need amplifiers. I bought this one off of Ebay as a demo model from a car audio shop for $240. I believe it is last years model, but it still has everything I need. I'm adding a full lineup of JL components, 6x9's, amps, and a sub to go along with it though. Should sound really good when I'm done without going totally overboard.

h82luz

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am sure you can wire it into the existing system, but will it work/control the cd changer? If it doesn't control the cd changer and I decide to keep it in, I will take out the changer and sell it to you with the miscellaneous hardware that you need.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Actually, since the Eclipse head unit he I was talking about is an in-dash 6 disc changer already, there would be no need for the 6 disc in the trunk and it comes with a remote, so a good shop will be able to link it to your steering wheel controls also if you wanted to retain them.

h82luz

·
ASSCLOWN IN CHIEF OBAMA
8,425 Posts
Infinity Compatibility

Hey WhiteFrightTT, I spent days this past summer upgrading a 91 tt to a 97 vr4 stereo. I had amp trouble, but thats another story that doesn't affect you. I got the head unit and the changer, and they worked fine, however my 91 speaker setup had no response whatsoever. As long as your wires/preamp/crossovers under the passenger seat are the same, you should be OK. You will need the radio code on the 97 Vr4 stereo cuz it's got the theft code thing. To get the code you have to reassure MITSu that you haven't stolen the radio. My peeps did it for me no prob.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey blusilvr whats up, thanks for the info. Is the wiring harness in 95s the same as in 97s? I havent decided yet because I havent gotten the stereo from my buddy yet, and he has the code.

·
ASSCLOWN IN CHIEF OBAMA
8,425 Posts
The harness on the 97 is a single large rectangular one. I have the scosche adapters and the whole mated wire / amp/ soldiered/ ....needless to say that project fell apart. I have all the wires ready to go, but got no sound in my car, cuz the 91 has no amp or at least a miniscule headunit amp.

We individually adapted a 97 harness to fit an earlier 3s. I forgot what all the proper terms are, cuz it was last summer, and I dunno much bout stereos. It was A PITA, all that individual mating and sautering , if that is how its spelled...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry I am not on here that much. It might be a day or so before I respond to a post. here are the specs on the car:

1995 Stealth RT TT
pearl white with charcoal leather
37k miles
6 speed (obviously)
factory 18 chromes
g force kdws with 3k on them
car is still under factory warranty until Jan or 100k miles which isnt going to come first obviously.
infinity stereo system w/cassette/eq and 6 cd changer

It is the same car as Evan's was except it only has 37k miles. Everything is still like new, never smoked in. Always maintained.

I have slightly modded it. Nothing big. Intake, BOV, turbo timer, plugs and wires, test pipe, windows just tinted by Ultimate Detail in Weymouth (I know the owner).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it doesnt have digital climate control or the steering wheel audio controls. She took great care of the car.

·
ASSCLOWN IN CHIEF OBAMA
8,425 Posts
Great!

I once saw a white 95 RT TT at Copley PLACE and Newbury with Florida plates...So white cars have been around Boston. Galaxy white pearl was a good chunk of 95 production, as was the dark interior. It might be a bit nicer than the 92 white you had. More pearl. You should extend that Chrysler warranty, as you'd be one of the last rt tt cars with some left.

Evans car had an interesting history. Very low miles til 99, as a exec chyrsler car in CT. Then it went to Laconia NH, and got traded in Framingham with 52k miles. He got them down to mid teens with warranty added in. There are many white 95s on autotrader with 30k but crazy high teens prices. Prob older drivers like women, retirees,etc...

I assume to know about what happened to evans car. If I hadn't already posted it, or PMed you, pics of his car are at

http://www2.iaai-bid.com/veh_detail...ing&branch=616&spage=d1&selectdate=2002-05-29

He wrecked it and walked away. Sad for such a rare car. Now you know. But you are a good owner as you have had many. Your BOV is an HKS again? I just did my tints to Mass legal 37% LUMAR reflective!! Has a light tint that turns silver in certain lighting situations..

I hope you can baby this car as well, we are running out of them! Maybe by Spring we can put together 5 tt owners around 128. I also know a guy with a 97 vr4 with 15k. He bought it with 3k for well over 35gs a year or so ago. Kinda much. So now your car is the finest stealth specimen left in MAss. Other than Jerrys 93 in NH, and that olive no option 96 somewhere in CT near UCONN or lebanon CT.

I will PM you in case you don't notice this posted reply. Put some pics up!! How is the chrome holdin up??

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I looked at Evan's car at Framingham Dodge before he bought it. I would've bought it but they wouldn't budge on the price. When they had it, it had high 50ks for miles and they were asking 18999 for his car which was over retail. I told them to go [email protected]#* in a hat, and that's when I bought my 96 VR4 with high 70ks for miles for 15.5k. I was glad to hear when the car went to Evan. You did tell me that he totalled his car, but there are others out there. There was a 95 in firestorm red for sale in NH for 14.5k with 77k which was nice, but he wouldn't move on the price and I dont buy anything that is sold "as is". But when I am ready to sell mine, I will let you know, but it's probably not going to be for atleast a year or two.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts