Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 3000gt vr4 tt
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult is it to rebuild oem calipers for the 97 vr4? the kits arent super expensive but i dont know what i am doing so just asking to see if its possible for a driveway mechanic to do or drop the 1200 on witwood.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Back yard mechanic stuff. Read the procedure in the service manual. You need an air compressor and good safety consciousness to get the pistons out. Think about where they will go if the come out like bullets.

Then it depends on the condition of the pistons. If they're pitted, you're done. I don't think you can get replacements.
if good then clean out the gunk. If the cylinders are pitted, none them with a brake cylinder hone. Then rebuild with the kit.

·
Super Moderator
7,147 Posts
As long as you can remove the pistons and they're not siezed up it's really not hard, I've disassembled and powdercoated a few sets of calipers now and it's really no big deal. I just grab rebuild kits from rock auto.

Also when trying to blow the pistons out with compressed air I'll put a piece of wood down the center (as if it were the rotor) so that the pistons can't eject like little missiles lol.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You could also take a look at this
. Not the greatest tutorial, but, at least it gives you a sense of what you'd be in for.

·
Registered
97 3000gt vr4 tt
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As long as you can remove the pistons and they're not siezed up it's really not hard, I've disassembled and powdercoated a few sets of calipers now and it's really no big deal. I just grab rebuild kits from rock auto.

Also when trying to blow the pistons out with compressed air I'll put a piece of wood down the center (as if it were the rotor) so that the pistons can't eject like little missiles lol.
i was able to release the pistons when i bled the brakes so i dont think they are siezed. and it makes sense to put wood in there. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
97 3000gt vr4 tt
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could also take a look at this
. Not the greatest tutorial, but, at least it gives you a sense of what you'd be in for.

I have watched this before but like i said i dont know what im doing persay but im trainable, ill probably have to watch this a few times as i am doing this. but thank you for this advice.

·
Premium Member
91 Varrrr 4 Matey!
66 Posts
I recently did mine. Had never done anything like that before but it was easy. 3 of 4 of my outboard pistons were really stuck but a lot of persistence and copious amounts of PB Blaster did the trick. After a thorough cleaning they went back together really easy.

As for the pistons, Rock Auto does have them and they also have the kits. The four bolts that are on the back of the caliper are the ones that hold the two halves together. No need to remove them unless you see leakage. There are two seals that come in the Rock Auto kits as well as the 3SX kits.

Let us know how it went when you get them finished?

Oh, when bleeding them, do so with the motor running in this order: RR, LF, LR, RF. That is in the service manual (at least the 1991 manual) Someone please correct me if I am in error here.

·
Registered
97 3000gt vr4 tt
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recently did mine. Had never done anything like that before but it was easy. 3 of 4 of my outboard pistons were really stuck but a lot of persistence and copious amounts of PB Blaster did the trick. After a thorough cleaning they went back together really easy.

As for the pistons, Rock Auto does have them and they also have the kits. The four bolts that are on the back of the caliper are the ones that hold the two halves together. No need to remove them unless you see leakage. There are two seals that come in the Rock Auto kits as well as the 3SX kits.

Let us know how it went when you get them finished?

Oh, when bleeding them, do so with the motor running in this order: RR, LF, LR, RF. That is in the service manual (at least the 1991 manual) Someone please correct me if I am in error here.
[/QUOT

I will give this a try. id like to keep it as oem as i can. id like to get up to 500hp in the end though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts