Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have completed a prototype of the electro-optical limit switches to replace the grossly inadequate mechanical switches. I am trying to decide whether to go purely electronic, or use a good relay. I'm going to try to use a good transistor, or possibly a "canned" solid state relay to provide the actual switch. The transistor is cheaper though. The cicuit is working, and I will need to decide what method to use to mount the sensors. Either I will use a very small circuit board, or "pot" it inside a plastic case the same size as the factory switches.
Currently, the circuit will use about 3 integrated circuits and about 8 resistors, and a 5 volt regulator. I think I can drop the IC's down to 2, with a little optimization. However, these parts are all very small anyway, and cheap, for the most part, so it really don't matter much. I may go with surface mount devices. I will probably remove my spoiler today, and try to test the circuit, and make measurements for distances to get the sensor casing designed properly. A piece of reflective material may have to be attached to the gear that turns and activates the mechanical switches. Hopefully I won't need it, but it should be a problem if I have to.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE --

I was able to further simplify the circuit, and I have generated a Printed Ciruit board layout, which I can have manufactured for about $10 each for 10 or more. The board will measure about 2.5 in x 2.5 in. The board will have connectors and I will try to use the existing factory connectors. If enough folks want this, I can manufacture several cheaper than a few at a time. Setup cost for circuit boards is about $67 per order. So, better to order 50 than to order 2 at one time (minimum order). Those interested, let me know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts