Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came across this site..
www.mkiv.com

In the Road Kills sections, I have read the supra guys beating anything from a Svt to a ferrari and diablos. Now the Question. Is this all Bullshit or are they really making that much HP outta the stock motor with lil mods. I am asking this coz my brother is buying a Supra and if this is true then we want to make his a diablo eater as well.

So check it out and let us know wut U think

Raja

S

·
0 Posts
Sounds like BS to me. Unless they all race guys who don't know how to drive. especially the 911 tt, don't those do 0-60 in around 3.5-3.8?? And a diablo would probably kick just about anyones ass in my opinion?!

·
Registered
500 Posts
That is beyond funny. That diablo story sounds completely made up. There is no frikin way that a supra could be a Diablo. Even IF the supra actually could beat a diablo, the story sounds pretty made up. The italain racer just happens to be at Frank's Pizzaria? Please. Maybe the guy saw a lambro on the way home, and thought about how much he wished he wished he could have one, and decided to make up a story about it. I dont know, but no matter what your damn exhaust sounds like, your not going to win against a diablo. I call bullshit.

2nd, these races that start on the highway already going ~70 mph arent very clear on the winners. On every race that started on a highway, the (insert expensive, exotic sports car here) spanked the supra, and then it caught up. Maybe they didnt want to risk 130+ on a public road to beat a supra. Did they expect them to drive that fast until their exit? The car could be on the highway for hours, once he has beaten the supra bad enough, he would probably back off and slow down to normal speeds. The bottom line is, someone is going to slow back to average speed once they feel they have won, since the supras are comming back from 5-12 car lengths, this wouldnt be a bad explination of what happned.

If im wrong, so be it. But i gaurantee you, a good percentage of those kills are made up. Some of them are true, but a good deal of them are figments of someone's imagination. I mean, a Diablo SV getting beat by a supra? Did they expect anyone to believe that? I could belive they beat an NSX, or C5, and possibly (but still very doubtful) an f355 if they had enough mods, and the ferrari driver didnt know what the hell he was doing.

I can see it now. "I was driving home from work and what pulls up next to me? Thrust SSC. It close race up to mach .91. Then i started to pull ahead by about 4-5 car lenghts. I had to slow down at about mach 1.2 but by that time, Thrust SSC was long gone. His twin rolls royce jet engines were no mach for my turbo'd six."

I have nothing against supras, and would trade my 91 stealth for one any time. (sorry
its a base, so I would trade it for almost anything faster)

[This message has been edited by krb (edited January 07, 2000).]

·
Dodge should sponsor me
2,014 Posts
i wish one would pull up next to me sometime when my buddy was riding shotgun with a camcorder!

·
Dodge should sponsor me
2,014 Posts
i believe that if the supra really did 1.45 bar thats 21.3psi, i think the supra would out pull the diablo thru 3rd gear, but after that the supra would run out of gears and the diablo would walk right by.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
so, what about a supra against one of our tt's?

W

·
0 Posts
On the old 3SI site there were several posts where the drivers of VR-4's were claiming to have beaten Diablo's ,F-50's and so on, and we all know those claims were just B.S. as well. If you want to see what Supra's can do then buy the new Turbo and High Tech. magazine. This month's issue is dedicated to the Supra.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. But some of the post sure sounded like BS. But I cannot really tell coz I MIGHT have happened, even though sumthing back of head is sayin " Are you a Moron for believin that". As Someone on this thread said I have nothing against Supras. They are sweet cars.

Hmm I was curious coz my brother is getting a 94 Supra TT, and we would like to make it Fast as hell. I own a Acura NSX. But I do miss the my yellow Vr4. But maybe I probably get a 70 Shot of NOS to it.

Raja

·
Banned
10,940 Posts
My brother-in-law owns a 95 Supra TT automatic. He has done some mods nothing major (yet). He draggs it reguraly, He can do mid 12's in the 1/4 mile with no problem. From what he has said with the amount of work some of us(ie Rob) have put into their cars it whould really fly. I can e-mail him for exact spects if I need to.

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Cars such as the Diablo, F50, and Viper (just a few examples) attain legendary status because of their potent performance from the factory. They will annihilate other stock cars that get in their way. Most Diablo's make a little over 500hp (new GT is perhaps most impressive at 566 hp), the F50 513, and the Viper 450 (ACR model can exceed 500hp). The first two cars rely on high rpms while the torque monster Viper (490 ft lbs) has the most neck snapping torque. All very impressive but . . .

Once you start modifying a lesser car, you can reach these numbers. There are plenty of Supra's, VR4's, Corvettes, Mustangs, etc. that can eclipse the power to weight ratio of the above cars. Many legendary cars struggle to hit mid 12's and some will even make it to the high 11's. Take a look at what some of our modified cars are doing. If your power to weight is better than their's, then you stand a good chance of beating them.

The MKIV kill stories may be ficticious, but by no means impossible. BTW - Supras are very quick in stock and moded form. Many people dislike how they look (I favor my Stealth, but the Supra is decent), some like the AWD of our cars, the better build quality etc., but once your down to pure tuning potential, the Supra has us hands down. They have RWD (not good for launches but great from a roll) and less weight (always good).

I'm not about to trade in my Stealth, just stating some facts. I've yet to lose to one, I just haven't raced enough of them.

Joe Gonsowski,
'92 R/T TT
12.23 @ 113

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Here you go guys i'll throw it for you:

[This message has been edited by Space Coyote (edited January 08, 2000).]

S

·
0 Posts
Most of these stories are only written by 4 guys. Only in a few of the stories has the Supra had little to no mods and beaten something like a C5. The rest of the Supras, are pushing 575-700hp, with the right tires and gearing, they could reel in a Diablo or Ferrari or whatnot pretty easily.

M

·
0 Posts
Man, I whooped a Hennesey Viper in my 96 base. He just didn't know I was racing him.j/k Anyway, maybe he did beat a Diablo. A Diablo body kit over a Fiero.

M

·
0 Posts
I like the Supras. Alot. I think they're bad-ass cars. Just because I drive a GT doesn't mean I don't like other fast cars, or I'm gonna dog them. I don't think I drive the best car. Does it say how much mods or horsepower it had? If he didn't, then you never know. Just like people always say on this board-anything can happen-it depends on the driver.

M

·
0 Posts
First of all i am a Supra man at heart. I bought the VR-4 because it could handle inclement weather and the price was lower then a supra. The guys on the mkiv list are serious about their cars. Guilly is pushing around 800 horse and a daily driven street, he is in TX, and if you want to race he will definitely go. The supra is a serious machine and the 2jz-gte can easily handle 700 hp and 20psi. I believe most of those stories on the list as i have met a lot of the guys and seen their cars. I used to own a MkIII but totalled it and i was hoping to move on to a supra. Hopefully someday i can have a supra as my fair weather car and my 3kGT as my daily driver. Hmmmm well i can always dream.

P

·
0 Posts
You guys have to know that those are not supras with little mods. Those are supras with over most time 5-10K in mods, most of the time more. They put down no less then 500-750rwhp (rear wheel horse power, you guys probably dont know that term- heh) unless it says so in the email. Some may seem fake but when you go out and buy a 12,000 dollar turbo kit for your car, you better expect to kill almost any car on the road. But remember those are not stock or barely modded supras.
byt he way, my dad bought a vr-4 about 4-7 years ago, im not sure on the year but when they were pretty new.It was quick but not fast. So he sold it and bought a 95 911TT, and he says that supras kick his ass all the time, but he still drives the 105,000 dollar car.
-=pimpadelic=-

S

·
0 Posts
After studying a little more, I have to change my first opinion. The Diablo I looked up did 0-60 in 4.6, 1/4 mile in 13.0. With a few mods, we could easily do better then that. Everyone on that page has at least 400hp it says. The ferrari's mostly do 0-60 in about 4.5-4.8. Again, not as fast as I first thought. Vipers are faster!!But the 911 TT I would have to wonder how many mods the Supra had. They do 0-60 in 3.6-3.8. That's fast. But doable w/ $10k in mods. So depending on the HP these guys have, might not be B.S. (not all of them anyway).

F

·
0 Posts
those of you that think a modded up supra or VR-4 for that matter could not beat a Diablo
in the 1/4mile must have never seen a Diablo
run... Thy are not 1/4 mile cars!! I have watched a VT Diablo run at the track it was running 13.3-13.4's.
also wen I lived in FL I ran a Diablo in my 94 corvett (daly driver with a fue mods ported heads, 3.73's, ECU upgrade, headers,cat-back, and 315's) on 1792 from a stop light and spanked his ass (my vet ran [email protected]) about a mo. or so lator I saw the same Diablo on I4 (at least it looked the same) and raced him from 70mph up and HE SPANKED MY ASS!!!!! it was not even close
so it just depends on how you race 1 i ges

Matt Monett www.dynamicracing1.com

·
Registered
500 Posts
Ok, i will change my opinion, it is possible. I knew the supras were modded, but i didnt know just how much. I read about that 700hp NA (well, it started out na, and they added turbos). Mainly, like matt said, they just arent drag racers.

The main thing that gets me about these road kills is that they guy is like "i spanked his 1/4 million dollar car's ass" or "he must bow down to the almighty supra" and just not showing any sportsmanship. Just being downright pricks about winning.

I forgot where i read this (might have been here) but its very true:
Too bad you can't buy class aftermarket.

Im sure not all supra owners are like this, but i just hate it when people are sore winners and losers. if you win, dont be and ass and rub it in someone's face, and if you lose, dont be an ass and get all pissed about it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts