Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anybody could assist me with properly reading the code(s) for my 91 Stealth. The video below shows what happens when I ground out the terminals and connect them to a multimeter. I followed the instructions from Stealth316 on how to do this. However, I can not understand how to read the actual code. Can anyone help?

Link:

I recently got a check engine light. After disconnecting the battery it did go away for a few drives, but then came back on. So I figure there must be an actual issue that it is detecting. I recently replaced the mass air flow sensor with one from the junkyard. Kind of wondering if it may be on its way out. I got a 6 month warranty on it and could get a new one if so.

Thanks for the help,

- Braden

·
Curmudgeon
5,631 Posts
You're using the wrong meter.
The instructions call for an analog (needle type) meter.
Most digital meters can't display fast enough to show you a pulse.
Any cheap Walmart/Autozone/Whatever analog meter will work, but so will a low voltage test light (5-6v, not the standard 12v automotive tester,,)
Hang onto that Horror Fraught "free with a coupon" meter though, you'll use it... (Hey, I've got three of those!)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're using the wrong meter.
The instructions call for an analog (needle type) meter.
Most digital meters can't display fast enough to show you a pulse.
Any cheap Walmart/Autozone/Whatever analog meter will work, but so will a low voltage test light (5-6v, not the standard 12v automotive tester,,)
Hang onto that Horror Fraught "free with a coupon" meter though, you'll use it... (Hey, I've got three of those!)
Hi Steve. Thanks for info. I knew it was wrong meter but saw someone else do it with a digital multimeter but could not understand how he was getting the results for the code. That video is here if you're interested...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCpTQvOh-vg

I did it again with the analog meter and I think I have gotten code 15, for EGR. 4 longer high pulses and then 3 shorter high pulses. My confusion is that my car is a Federal Spec, I confirmed with the label on the firewall near the brake booster. So why would it be throwing this code for EGR if it does not have an EGR valve? It does have a different ECU which is also federal spec.

Okay, now I am thinking that since I swapped the engine on this car, perhaps this new engine came from a Cali spec car and has an EGR valve. Will go check and edit this post when I find out.

Here is the video of what happened with the analog multimeter...https://youtu.be/mhO_22vUg0U

This is the chart I used for diagnosis...http://www.stealth316.com/2-diagcodes91-93.htm

·
Curmudgeon
5,631 Posts
Are you sure that's not 53? I'm not sure if you should count that first pulse when you turn the key, but if you leave it on it should repeat the code (or show any other ones it has, then repeat).

Even if you do have an EGR on the engine a 1st gen Fed spec ECU would just ignore it.
What ECU does it have now, and what problem are you fixing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts