Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a 1994 sl and i have problems with it since spring. Engine is rattling/knocking ( link to a video showing this sound below) when you rev it, this sound is mostly noticeable at around 3k rpms at top of the engine. This problem didn't appear year ago when i bought it, then it was only missfiring at one of the cylinders when mass airflow sensor was plugged. During winter i have completely rebuilt front and rear suspension, fixed the steering rack because it was leaking, sanblasted and painted everything. Then when i drove the car out of garage in may it started to make this sound and i couldn't track source of it since then.
I have checked under both valve covers and everything seemed in order, then I checked cylinder pressure and every one of them is good, but one of the spark plugs had some white deposit on top of it. Timing is also good and every pulley was checked and none of them was making weird sounds

Link to the video

· Registered
263 Posts
if your talking about the ticking that is there the entire time that sounds like a lifter. That hard rap/knock that appeared when you revved it the 3rd time. I hate to say it and hope I'm wrong sounds like a rod knock.

P

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i have dropped the oilpan and it turned out that 3 rod bearings were worn out and had a lot of play. Later on i took rest of them off and every single one was seized up. Crankshaft is cracked, three rods have to be replaced because bearings turned in them. All of that mess was caused by a bent oil pan so oilpump couldn't suck enough oil. Now i am looking for a new engine because parts cost as much as a new engine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts