Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, out driving today I saw a pretty mean looking RX-7. I saw he had exhaust, so I figured I'd cruise up to him and see if he wanted to go. I rolled down my window to listen for a turbo, YES!

Anyway, I catch up to him, rev, and thank god he revs back. We had some traffic in front of us, so we weaved for a while, got a red, and it was on. I jumped out on the launch. Through first and second I was still ahead, then he stated gaining on me at the bottom of my third gear. By the end of third however, I had gained back whatever he had pulled on me. Shut down around 120, with about 2 1/2 lengths. i was impressed being that RX-7's tend to be a little faster high end than we are aren't they? The guy had to turn off right before me, so I didn't get to talk to him. He looked pretty cool though, about 25 or so, not a prick.

I was wondering, why did he gain on me at the top of my second gear and bottom of third, and then fall back until it was all over? Is that a power band thing, or is that a weird gear ratio? What could it be? Anyway, it was a cool race, waiting for more!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
No idea why that happened man...but from what I understand they are much lighter than us and have great top-end and high speed capabilities.

Also, Good Kill man. Its not everyday we can read a post about killing an RX-7.;)

·
Vr-4 Evr
2,027 Posts
he would gain on you top of second and bottom of third because top of second your turbos are not making full boost anymore. and then when you hit third its such a long gear that the beginning of it sucks ass. till you pick up some more speed then third gear is the shit.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, this must really be my day, but after I wrote that thread, I had to go out and grab some shit from my uncle, and what do I see, but a red RX-7, no obvious mods. I catch up to him, pop the turbo a bit, then gun it a bit. He replies in fashion, and we go from around 65, I was already ahead, and that never changed! He must've been stock, cause the other RX-7 did better than this guy. I know he was racing, he gave me the thumbs up after he caught up. We went until about 100. God, I've never raced an RX-7 before, and now two in one day! HA!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Nice Man...seems like you have stumbled upon some damn good fortune. If I get to even see them I consider that a good day. HEHE:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
16 psi????

nytemyst....

You ever have any trouble running 16 psi?? I've heard a lot of ppl. say that 14.5 is the max for a 3/S w/o getting a bigger fuel pump.

Pete

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
damn man, two rx7's in the same day. Why can't i get that kind of luck. Oh well granted if they were turbo i'd get my ass handed to me but its just the race i want.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote: the 93-95 rx-7 all came turbo

You sure about that man? I thought there were NA's too. Anyone else have any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
All 3rd gens were turbo's ... but there were still different trims to it. The touring model, racing model ... I'm not so sure on all the differences but I know one didn't have the spoiler and one didn't have leather seats and whatnot ... but they are all the same powerplant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts