Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend me a good radar/laser dectector that's good for driving in California? Thanks

·
Getrag Rebuilder
1,801 Posts
Hey,
I just ordered a valentine one this past sunday. I have heard nothing but good things about it. As soon as I get it up and running I'll let you know how I like it. Anybody else with V1's have some tips for mounting and wiring of the components? I'm trying to figure out the best place for the concealed display unit.
--Steve Http://www.valentineone.com

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
ValentineOne is probably the best, although expensive.. if you live where detectors are illegal, than you might be able to get away with their hiding package, or whatever they call it.. I once saw a Ferrari with a VOne, and built into the front grille he had a laser descrambler.. it was nice...

I'd go with the ValentineOne.. I wish I could spend the $$ for it..

-LDG

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Active Radar Jammers are the best defence, though they are highly illegal, hard to come by, and expensive. Search around on the internet...............Corey

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had the V-1 for a little over a year. It has saved my butt more times then I can count. The LAPD in my area uses old K band radar that I can pick up almost 3/4 of a mile away...plenty of time to hit the brakes. The CHP uses Stalker which is harded to pick up so you don't have as much time to react. Comparing the V-1 to my old Bel radar detector is like comparing apples to oranges...not in the same league. Steve, I mounted my V-1 behind my rear view mirror so it is harder for a police officer behind me to see it. The V-1 uses telephone cord to connect it to the remote display. It is really easy to hide the cord under molding and route it behind panels. I mounted my remote display on top of the steering column so it is right in my instrument sweep.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whereas passive radar jammers work about .05% of the time and laser jammer work .000001% (or where bouts) of the time.

You should consider checking to see if laser is legal in your state. Some states do not allow laser radar to be used by law enforcement. I believe Florida is one of those (at least it was a few years ago). So if you plan on buying the V-1, don't buy the laser module (and for those that don't know, the V-1 does not come with a laser radar detector at ~ $349. Not to mention it's almost impossible to slow down if you're hit with laser -- there isn't any time.

There are 3 items on the market that will help with laser. First, a plate that covers your license plate (usually guaranteed to be reflective and relatively flat)-- it diffuses or scatters the beam so that it does not reflect back to the laser radar gun. However, I believe it is illegal in some states (NY?). Second, tilting your plate by about 20 degrees, this should send the reflection into the sky or ground. And third, there is a spray -- while mostly used to protect against photo-radar, which take a picture of your plate and sends you the ticket -- that polarizes your plate; it should also neutralize the beam.

Something else to consider -- don't put solar film on the car windows. Think of X-RAY and Metal. They drastically cut down on the radar detect to detect radar guns! Some cars that do not have solar film still cut down radar detectors effectiveness due to the material used in the glass!

I can not endorse or confirm any of the above writing. They are a summary of what I have read over the last 3-4 months when I started researching for a radar detector. Currently leaning towards a V-1 but can not quite justify the cost...yet.

Now a question about "hidden" detectors -- my understanding is that the higher up the detector, the better chance of it hearing the noise -- if you put it in the grille, not only are you "less protected", you aren't protected in the back. Unless they have a mic in the back as well? Of course, this would solve the issue of having solar film on your windows and interfering with the detector.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VALENTINE ONE!!!!!

I got nailed twice in one month by the cops here in Va....one of which was DEFINATLEY bogus. In any case, I ordered the valentine one the next day. It works great.

Years ago I had some no-name brand detector and it would detect the radar, but usually only at about 1/2-1/4 mile away. When I got the Valentine One, I found a few speed traps and measured the distance at which it stopped picking the cops up. On flat (not hilly) ground my Valentine One was picking them up OVER 3 MILES AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, radar detectors are illegal in Virginia, so I only used my detector to do some field intensity studies only, and it's been put in my basement, far, far away from my car. I may use it once in a while when I feel like doing some more electromagnetic field intensity studies.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
i got the k-40 sonar rader detector. it has a sensor in the front and rear bumper and then two little indicator lights that i mounted under the cd player. it works awesome. i love having the thing totaly hidden. i think radar detectors look tacky on the dash or stuck to the windshield. it works awesome but cost about $1000. (i got it for a birthday present) justify it by this: i'd rather pay $1000 now, rather than $1000 later for bail

1 - 8 of 8 Posts