Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just removed the steering rack from my 3000gt and It is not in the best condition. I am wondering if it is a common thing to just clean up the steering rack and buy 2 new boots/bellows or if I should just replace the entire steering rack and not worry about it. Seeing as I have the engine out being worked on right now I have all the time for engine bay work but I am worried that I will end up getting everything put back together and end up needing to replace the steering rack. Watching videos on youtube of people doing this job with the engine inside seems extremely annoying. I appreciate all your replies on what you would do in this situation. Thank you

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just removed the steering rack from my 3000gt and It is not in the best condition. I am wondering if it is a common thing to just clean up the steering rack and buy 2 new boots/bellows or if I should just replace the entire steering rack and not worry about it. Seeing as I have the engine out being worked on right now I have all the time for engine bay work but I am worried that I will end up getting everything put back together and end up needing to replace the steering rack. Watching videos on youtube of people doing this job with the engine inside seems extremely annoying. I appreciate all your replies on what you would do in this situation. Thank you
To finish this up, I was planning on getting the replacement from Detriot Axle for about $120 after sending in my old core. If I went the cleaning route I was planning on just getting the bellows from rockauto.

·
Registered
1991 Dodge Stealth ES 5sp
110 Posts
honestly at that price you should just replace it. especially if you already have the engine out and a lot of room to do it comfortably.

if you're saying it looks rough already, chances are the seals/o-rings inside the steering rack are on their way out as well. these you cannot access unless you fully disassemble to "refurbish" it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
honestly at that price you should just replace it. especially if you already have the engine out and a lot of room to do it comfortably.

if you're saying it looks rough already, chances are the seals/o-rings inside the steering rack are on their way out as well. these you cannot access unless you fully disassemble to "refurbish" it.
Thank you for the insight. That is starting to look like the best place of action at this point.

·
Registered
1994 3000GT VR4
28 Posts
I am running into this issue on my ‘94 VR4.. the rack is leaking :(. What exact product are you buying? This is the one I saw:

·
Registered
1991 Dodge Stealth ES 5sp
110 Posts
I am running into this issue on my ‘94 VR4.. the rack is leaking :(. What exact product are you buying? This is the one I saw:

If it's not just the lines that are leaking, you can extract some of the fluid from the reservoir and put in some power steering leak stop fluid. It's a good temporary measure and extends the life of your existing rack a little longer. (the fluid makes the seals and o-rings swell a bit more to stop the leak).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts