Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
VR-4 eats my money!
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was on my way back to the base when I came to a stoplight next to a Black Chevrolet Truck. Didn't think nothing about it but I could hear the thing camming. I looked over at the driver and I Noticed some Pilar Mounted Gauges and on the Side of his Truck it said 454SS. I dont know how much HP they have but I Know they have a lot of Torque. I was in the far right lane and I'm new to Texas area so I needed to be in the far left. Well The light turns Green and i pull off slow so i could get behind him but he was keeping pace with me. so as Soon as I got about 15 Mph I punched it in 1st to get the initial Jump but he was obviously waiting for me to do that and he nailed it as well, when I hit about 4500 RPMs I started getting a little wheelspin a I could hear the tires squealing and my Tach when to about 65---Rpms and hovered...went back down then swept to 7,000 Rpms. I Snatched second really quick letting out a nice chrip and we were both Dead even. I could hear his truck shifting so quick it sounded like a drag car and by the way it roared I couldnt even hear my own engine. Well I ended up hitting the brakes b/c he kept me from getting in the left lane. I got behind him on the freeway and I pulled out to pass at 65 mph in 3rd and he punches it. I Pulled about a Half of car and had his hood approximtly to my spoiler. It stayed that way until I hit 4th at about 110. I could still hearing it shift and the noise was getting louder.....I glanced over and he is inching up on me. The race ended with my hood at the bed of his truck at 130 and niether of us pulling. It was a good race But I was expecting to leave him behind.

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
They run 16's stock(mid/low 16's @ 82mph for the 230HP '90 model, and low 16's/high 15's @ 85mph for the 255hp '91-'93), so they aren't much of a match for a 5spd N/A in stock condition. With a cam, intake(plenum & TB), heads, headers, and every other bolt on you could get one into the low 14's or high 13's... then with nitrous you could run well into the 12's, but even a 12 second one with nitrous would be lucky to trap over 105mph thanks to shitty aerodynamics.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Not a race for a 3kgt

10 years ago I chased one in my 88 si prelude ( 135hp ) and I could real him in when he tried to loose me , going up mountain sides. We exchanged playing cat and mouse for a good 30 miles and every time he tried to leave OR pass me I pulled away from him and he eventually gave up. I couldn't stop laughing at him and his BIG scarry 454 against my little old prelude , my Lude would only do 8 seconds to 60 and everyone back in the early 90's thought the 454 was a fast truck , torque musta fooled them:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Richy T. said:
I remember when they first came out and there was an article about them in MT or C&D pitting it against a Corvette. IIRC, it's 0-60 was almost just as fast as the Vette's.
So what truck did I read about? It wasn't a lightning. I clearly remember them pitting it against a Vette.:confused:

·
Member #140 Aug, 1998
3,777 Posts
2Fast4U3000GT said:
I was on my way back to the base when I came to a stoplight next to a Black Chevrolet Truck. Didn't think nothing about it but I could hear the thing camming. I looked over at the driver and I Noticed some Pilar Mounted Gauges and on the Side of his Truck it said 454SS. I dont know how much HP they have but I Know they have a lot of Torque. I was in the far right lane and I'm new to Texas area so I needed to be in the far left. Well The light turns Green and i pull off slow so i could get behind him but he was keeping pace with me. so as Soon as I got about 15 Mph I punched it in 1st to get the initial Jump but he was obviously waiting for me to do that and he nailed it as well, when I hit about 4500 RPMs I started getting a little wheelspin a I could hear the tires squealing and my Tach when to about 65---Rpms and hovered...went back down then swept to 7,000 Rpms. I Snatched second really quick letting out a nice chrip and we were both Dead even. I could hear his truck shifting so quick it sounded like a drag car and by the way it roared I couldnt even hear my own engine. Well I ended up hitting the brakes b/c he kept me from getting in the left lane. I got behind him on the freeway and I pulled out to pass at 65 mph in 3rd and he punches it. I Pulled about a Half of car and had his hood approximtly to my spoiler. It stayed that way until I hit 4th at about 110. I could still hearing it shift and the noise was getting louder.....I glanced over and he is inching up on me. The race ended with my hood at the bed of his truck at 130 and niether of us pulling. It was a good race But I was expecting to leave him behind.
He was obviously modified because I owned a 90 454Ss and it was a dog. Would knock your head through the back window on a launch, but it was a 3 speed tranny and topped out about 90 mph. They even made overdrive add ons for them. They improved on the 91 and also added colors because the 90 was black only and no options except a locking gas cap. My Dodge 318 quad cab could out tow it on the highway at highway speeds also. Piece of junk. Beffy engine though and you could add a 100 shot of nitrous and keep up with Vettes in the 1/4 and it could out slalom a Mustang with the Bilstein Shocks. I was sorry I ever bought mine. Lightnings were better performers.

·
Cams: Where less is more
978 Posts
my bro's truck ran 15.2 at 94mph with just a tune up and 4:10's (1990) :D.....now with the filter, glass bumpers, AFPR, and a couple other lil things hes knockin on mid 14's :eek: :p....not bad for the 'big black brick' lol

·
VR-4 eats my money!
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I saw him again last night.....I didn't race him but I did see him beat a Mustang 5.0 and a Eclipse GS-T

1 - 10 of 10 Posts