Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I had a chance to get a 94 VR4 with a buncha mods dirt cheap, and its gotten me back into 3KGTs and Stealths again... I had feared that it was already sold, so I made a backup plan fora 92 VR4... only thing I'm wondering is should I hold out til I find another 94 for that cheap? Cause I know the 94 has a 6 speed and 20 more hp stock, but how much speed would I be loosing?

·
GOD
4,457 Posts
If you plan on drag racing, the 5 speed is supposedly better. The "extra 20 HP" on the 94 is boost was raised about 2 psi from the factory, and nothing else. Top speed at redline is better on a 6 spd, I think its about 215-220 and on a 5 speed its about 205 mph (if you have the extra power to go that fast)
I'd get another 5 speed and save a little money at the same.

·
Matt Sherman
3,898 Posts
2Mitsus said:
I'd get another 5 speed and save a little money at the same.

:stupid:

not to mention, I like the styling of the 1st gen's better..for vr4's. it's wierd, but 91-93 look good as vr4's, but not as base/sl's, and 2nd gens don't look right as vr-4s but look good as base/sl's, and then the 99's are just fuckin awsome.

get the 1st gen, and a mbc up the boost to 14psi, and save a few thousand.

Matt

·
Masshole
1,815 Posts
what do u mean that they don't look good as vr4's? They all have the same friggin lines? What do u think makes the 1st gens look more like a vr4?
I didn't want the popup headlights so I went the 94 myself. its really just a matter of preference, plus I got my car with only 48k on it whereas all the first gens around were pushing about 100k. I guess the six speed is better for basic mods, but if you start to go rediculous then the five speed becomes better. Six speed is supposedly more economical. I always got like 20mpg with my setup even with some 130mph highway runs mixed in there.

·
3si member #1623
1,976 Posts
I think 2nd gens look sweet! But the overall styling of 1st gens is something you don't find on new cars anymore and they always get looks..3/s's do in general.

As for losing power you aren't really "losing" anything, just up the boost and you'll be straight like everyone said. Good luck ;)

·
Matt Sherman
3,898 Posts
supert94vr4 said:
what do u mean that they don't look good as vr4's? They all have the same friggin lines? What do u think makes the 1st gens look more like a vr4?

i know..it's weird, and I can't explain it buy NA's don't fit first gen style, and TT's don't fit 2nd gen style...IMO. I can't explain it.

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts