Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
redvr4 and i are going to pull all that crap off today or monday, if i remove it will i get a check engine light on or anything? anyone who has a second gen that has done it reply please, he did it to his first gen but i wonder if it's any different for second gen. can you tell a difference and if i should be warned about anything... thanks again guys...
-JD

:ak47: EGR and pre-cats :eek: :D

·
Hellfire Master
2,666 Posts
You may or may not get a CEL. If you do, just unscrew the temp sensor from the EGR valve and plug it back into the ECU and reset the computer. You should be good to go then.

devilmanVISA

·
Registered
17,551 Posts
I've read about EGR removal/block off before... and... i know that when you're at wot the egr line is blocked off anyway... however... what about when you're just driving, or hell, even racing at like 80% throttle? How hard is this on the engine? I mean, it cant be that bad, but it doesnt seem like the engine can enjoy inhaling its own shit like that.... lol...

I think what I'm wondering is... is there ANY real reason to remove the EGR system? It doesnt seem too damaging and it doesnt seem to make a difference at wot... so the only reason to remove it would be weight... and it doesnt weigh enough to make any difference! lol...

someone enlighten me. thanks.

·
Registered
489 Posts
It also makes changing your plugs much easier, you don't have to mess with that silly EGR gasket from hell.

·
Hellfire Master
2,666 Posts
Weed_Man said:
I think what I'm wondering is... is there ANY real reason to remove the EGR system? It doesnt seem too damaging and it doesnt seem to make a difference at wot... so the only reason to remove it would be weight... and it doesnt weigh enough to make any difference! lol...

someone enlighten me. thanks.
Simple, take off your plenum and look inside and then we'll take off my plenum and look inside. Mine is silky smooth on the inside and nice and clean. I bet yours looks like the inside of Rosie O'Donnell's rectum. Not to mention that all the time that you aren't at WOT, you have smoking hot ass exhaust superheating your intake manifold. This in turn heats up the air going through it, maybe not much, but warmer is warmer and that is that. Every little bit helps. It is a nearly free mod, and a rather decent one at that.

devilmanVISA

·
Registered
17,551 Posts
saq said:
It also makes changing your plugs much easier, you don't have to mess with that silly EGR gasket from hell.
Oh God, you're right. I recently did that. I can't believe I forgot about how much that gasket sucked... lol. I stand corrected.

devilmanVISA said:
Simple, take off your plenum and look inside and then we'll take off my plenum and look inside. Mine is silky smooth on the inside and nice and clean. I bet yours looks like the inside of Rosie O'Donnell's rectum. Not to mention that all the time that you aren't at WOT, you have smoking hot ass exhaust superheating your intake manifold. This in turn heats up the air going through it, maybe not much, but warmer is warmer and that is that. Every little bit helps. It is a nearly free mod, and a rather decent one at that.
Again, excellent point. I didnt think it would make that big of a difference. Yeah, my plenum is quite disgusting. Probably not Rosie's Rectum disgusting... but its up there.

Looks like I'll be reconsidering this whole EGR Block off thing. Could I get a slightly more detailed set of directions to make the CEL go away? I didnt really understand what you said earlier, and if I do this, and the CEL comes on, and I can't get rid of it - it would drive me insane. heh

Thanks

·
Hellfire Master
2,666 Posts
Okay no prob. After you remove the EGR, you may or may not get a CEL. If you do get a CEL it is because your car is second gen or Cali spec. If so, there is an electrical temperature sensor in the EGR valvebody itself, you will know it because it plugs into an electrical plug. If you don't have one you will most likely not get a CEL, even if you do have one you still might not get a CEL. If you do throw a code, you can just plug the temp sensort back into the plug and stick the sensor near the rear exhaust manifold. That is all I did and I haven't had a code in well over 1000 miles. Or you could dig into your tech manual and find out the resistance that is within spec for the sensor and just solder a resistor into the plug. I am not going that far though as I won't have to worry about the CEL when I go standalone ECU.

Any more questions feel free to ask. If you need a good set of instructions on how to do the vacuum hose and EGR mods read the last post here:
http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23918

devilmanVISA

·
Spyder VR4
178 Posts
just installed egr

I just installed these block-off plates and my check engine light didnt come on for 2 days, I reset the computer and it came on the next day, I reconected the sensor and set in by the rear turbo and so far so good. hopefully this works, there is nothing more annoying then that bright red light starring at you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts