Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to run my first next month.
I see the Stealth turbo is in the FS class, and the only other car in my local club in that class is a late model Mercedes driver. Looks like about 50 cars participated in the last event a couple weeks ago. Mostly later model stuff, including a few civics, miatas, evo's, S2000's, vettes, M3's, etc. Next month is on a kart track set up in the parking lot at Homestead speedway, which is about 10 miles from me.
What kind of tech inspection can I expect, and does it matter my car is slightly modded? Does that put me in a different class?
I think its about $40 with 6 runs.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
352 Posts
$40 for 6 runs isnt too bad... i pay $25 as a club member. Tech is a loose version of SCCA. no floor mats, loose objects in car, seat bolts, good seatbelt, secure battery tie down, no heavy leaks, exposed wire frays in engine bay.

It really depends on how...strict they are in tech if they change your class...your really not allowed to modify anything in FS class (not even a CAI)...other than tires (slicks reallyyyy change the game for us)

I threw on s-tech springs that really improved my time, but they dont really notice. techs are car guys too, and they will notice an MBC, or heavy mods obviously.

It says you have an SAFC2...try and conceal it lol.

use 1st for the start and 180 degree corners or close to. stay in 2nd most of the time, use momentum and torque to pull you through...im off the boost 80% of the time in autocross. at first i was romping first because our 1st gear is so long, but when i used 2nd, i took nearly 5 seconds off my times. In high speed runs (160mph top speed courses) im definitely in boost haha

Good luck and be safe!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so I will probably end up in one of the modified classes. I guess they just use their discretion. I dont care about trophies. Just want to see how well I can do in comparison, but dont want to be beat by some woman driving a fart can 91 civic either.
Still have a snell 2000 helmet I havent used in 10 years. Hope it still fits.
I know autocross doesnt put a lot of stress on a car, but I hope I dont break anything.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you're running with the SCCA strictly speaking the turbo swap puts you in SM (street modified) which is a pretty harsh class as far as indexing goes. Since you're new just show up and sign up for BSP (B Street Prepared) they should be alright with it (just don't tell them about the turbos). FS stands for F-Stock and is only for stock cars (Only allowed to change struts/shocks, catback exhaust, front sway bar, same as stock dimension wheels up to 1/4inch difference in offset).

·
Registered
352 Posts
FS class only allows you to change to slicks...thats the scca regs here anyways.

i would check with them on the what the restrictions are for each class for that event organizer.

Auto-cross can be pretty hard on the 3s. Mine has done pretty well, but i did burn out my 3rd gear synchro. and the occassion ECS blink. I wouldnt dump the launch though, the first turn is usually pretty close...which takes the AWD advantage out of the mix.

Your helmet should be good. They should also offer rental helmets (hand over your drivers license, then get it back when you return it)

3s is heavy but use the momentum and weight to your advantage, good entry speeds, try and look 3 "gates" ahead. most people that are slow concentrate on the gate they are approaching, not the one or two after it. also these are GREAT in the slalom...power on, power off, nose in, turn in, power on ect. soooo much fun. post pix when you go!

although you wont be in other classes, you will be ranked against them in raw rank and PAX rank. with my pax i got up to 10th in just two races this season, and thats against some seriously built cars
Im usually 10-20 seconds ahead of any honda...dont worry haha

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I am hoping to run my first next month.
I see the Stealth turbo is in the FS class, and the only other car in my local club in that class is a late model Mercedes driver. Looks like about 50 cars participated in the last event a couple weeks ago. Mostly later model stuff, including a few civics, miatas, evo's, S2000's, vettes, M3's, etc. Next month is on a kart track set up in the parking lot at Homestead speedway, which is about 10 miles from me.
What kind of tech inspection can I expect, and does it matter my car is slightly modded? Does that put me in a different class?
I think its about $40 with 6 runs.
Thanks for any input.
First of all ....... as a first time out, what difference does it make what class you're in? Go out and learn and have fun. When you have some experience and knowledge (about your ride), then start worrying about classes versus times and competition. The first step is learning your ride in an autocross setting or events ...... then start worrying about what it takes to be super competitive. You'll eventually find that our marque is OK it its class, but not stellar. However, a great driver can overcome the shortcomings of the car. Tricking out the suspension will greatly impact competitiveness. Nonetheless it is great fun and you'll be amazed the cars you'll be able to BURY ;-)

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Just went to one this weekend and had a blast. Got first in FS (although I'm not stock and I was the only one in the class, haha). I agree with the guy above, slaloms are sick. I had this 170K mile stock suspension beast sliding all around those cones :p

Beware, it does KILL your tires especially if you alignment isn't great.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Finally ran on the kart track at Homestead speedway. 2/3 mile course in about 51 seconds was my best time. I think a modified civic had best time around 46. Most others seemed to be in the 47-49 second range, but at least I consistenlty beat a buy running a carrera and an M3. Several s2000's, a couple porsches, minis, miatas, evos, etc.
Only about 25 cars showed up so I got in about 10 runs total.
Many of the cars were running slicks. Cant wait for the next one. It really is all about the driver.
The organizer told me a lot of stories (and he probably could have run 47 in my car) and the one I liked best was about a guy who showed up a few months ago in a GTR. When he finished near the back at the end of the day he made the excuse the course didnt let him take advantage of all the power he had.:shitsweak:
The clock can be cruel.

PS - I only swiped one cone all day so maybe I didnt push it enough!
Noticed the best are real smooth with minimal tire squeal. Doesnt look like theyre pushing at all. In other words, they made it look easy. Ive got some to learn.
The track is used for karting, but with slaloms set on the longer straights, and one or two minor changes to the course, it really works well for cars too.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Finally ran on the kart track at Homestead speedway. 2/3 mile course in about 51 seconds was my best time. I think a modified civic had best time around 46. Most others seemed to be in the 47-49 second range, but at least I consistenlty beat a buy running a carrera and an M3. Several s2000's, a couple porsches, minis, miatas, evos, etc.
Only about 25 cars showed up so I got in about 10 runs total.
Many of the cars were running slicks. Cant wait for the next one. It really is all about the driver.
The organizer told me a lot of stories (and he probably could have run 47 in my car) and the one I liked best was about a guy who showed up a few months ago in a GTR. When he finished near the back at the end of the day he made the excuse the course didnt let him take advantage of all the power he had.:shitsweak:
The clock can be cruel.

PS - I only swiped one cone all day so maybe I didnt push it enough!
Noticed the best are real smooth with minimal tire squeal. Doesnt look like theyre pushing at all. In other words, they made it look easy. Ive got some to learn.
The track is used for karting, but with slaloms set on the longer straights, and one or two minor changes to the course, it really works well for cars too.

On so many levels this is a phenomenal story for this forum. You are our hero. Great job. Realistically we have little hope to compete modern-day platforms. You've gone beyond that. We'd appreciate any additional details. Again, good going.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got my 2nd autox coming up october 30 on the same track, though they will probably modify it some. My map I drew, sorry...kinda crude...the first long medium turn I took in 2nd gear, and each time the car was right on the edge of on and off. Meaning the car was bucking through the turn. In old school terms it felt like it was on and off the cam, lurching back and forth. Keep it in 1st until out of that turn?
As a matter of fact, I pretty much kept it in 2nd the whole run.

·
Registered
352 Posts
bucking? what RPM/speed are you at when this occurs?

course will definitely be different, or i sure hope so!!

looks like a fun course, I dont see any too tight of a bend to require first gear. unless you are getting a lot of understeer?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bucking? what RPM/speed are you at when this occurs?

course will definitely be different, or i sure hope so!!

looks like a fun course, I dont see any too tight of a bend to require first gear. unless you are getting a lot of understeer?
not sure of the rpm at that spot. need to be more aware next time.
I dont have any mapping or mychron type systems, but I will post my hd video footage. Picked up a contour hd gps and it should be cool to watch it after.
If anything, in the tightest/slowest turns I got some oversteer more than once. Went sideways

·
Registered
352 Posts
not sure of the rpm at that spot. need to be more aware next time.
I dont have any mapping or mychron type systems, but I will post my hd video footage. Picked up a contour hd gps and it should be cool to watch it after.
If anything, in the tightest/slowest turns I got some oversteer more than once. Went sideways
awesome! i tend to understeer at lower speeds and get slight oversteer at higher speeds in faint/slight corners.

glad you had fun! i just finally picked up a GoPro...after autox season ended lol. but ice-racing starts soon so it all works out

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ice racing!?
Wow.
I live in the opposite corner of the continent from you.:qgiggity:

·
Registered
352 Posts
ice racing!?
Wow.
I live in the opposite corner of the continent from you.:qgiggity:
yea thats for the galant though haha.

yea i just came up from florida about a year ago. (panama city)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow its quiet (dead) in here.
Going for my second autox on 12/18.
This time I will use my contour gps camera and record some of my runs from different angles and will post the links.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
wow its quiet (dead) in here.
Going for my second autox on 12/18.
This time I will use my contour gps camera and record some of my runs from different angles and will post the links.
So, will you be running the Challenger or the Club Cab :) Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts