Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a guy yesterday who has a lightened fly-wheel and he said that it seriously affected his take off because of the lack of inertia due to the lower mass he really has to rev it up to get it to go.
Do you guys notice anything like this, or similar at any time of driving. Any negetives of using the lighter fly-wheel?
Thanks,

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
Yes, if you shift too slow, it you will burn the clutch(because the RPMS Drop too fast. I have found its best to rev match when turning corners, and down shifting.

I shift too slow in traffic. Which is what has killed my current clutch.

Also it is harder to take off, with the Lightweight flywheel. I have gotten used to it, but I think I have already fried my clutch

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of clutch? Did you notice any advantages?

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
RPS II clutch. Yes, I really like the flywheel. the car accelerates much quicker

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
damn tuan, what do you shift at? 2000rpms? I drove around in a car with a fidenza flywheel and ACT 2100 clutch with no problems what-so-ever. It even has an UDP. Maybe Tuan needs to stop driving like grandma. :D

·
og
4,293 Posts
hans, who's car would that be? :D

seriously, i launch at 3k and have no problems off the line. rpms do drop fast, so fast that occasionally (actually, very rarely now) the car will stall out, mostly when it is cold. i also burn my clutch occasionally for no apparent reason which i am attributing to the rpm drop... i'm not saying i don't burn it other times for different reasons, but that occasionally it seems to burn for no reason (i.e. no need to reply to that last sentance mr ertl :D )

well i think that covers it, safe travels.

- mike

479 Posts
Sounds like Hans is right and all of you need to stop driving like grandma. I love the flywheel but I also have the stage 3 in and I haven't had any problems yet other then a grenaded tranny and transfer case (I'm just going to tell you to shut up now Hans cause I'm sure your going to say something about that :p ). Drastic change in RPMs though as Tuan and Mike said.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
can someone explain what exactly is "harder to take off?"...you mean when you coming off a red light your car won't move or something...:confused:...why??

479 Posts
Wasn't MY fault the trans blew up. Its all the cars fault. Oh well. One day, someday I will have it fixed again. As for the difference of taking off you have to rev it higher and slip the clutch more. Due to the higher loss of RPM's its easier to stall the car out. It is a big difference but you will notice a big difference in performance also. Its a give and take situation.

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
I don't drive like a grandma...... you drive like a grandma .

And yes, I do shift at ~3000 RPMS except during hard accelleration.... when I shift at 3500 RPMS.

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have to slip the clutch more with the LWF then how well does that work with the stage 3 clutch that is supposed to be really sticky?

479 Posts
It works fine. I haven't had any problems yet. The stage 3 is stickier and much stiffer so you just get to build your leg muscle more. Only thing is it does make it harder to break in till it loosens up some. Just have to be careful but the clutch can handle trust me on that. And whatever you do DO NOT dump the clutch with the stage 3 and the LWF at a high RPM range. The clutch will not slip and with the AWD the tires do not spin the greatest which leaves you with the tranny/TC taking much of the torque abuse. Trust me on this cause I grenaded my TC and trans cause of it.

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have to worry about that with my N/A, but thank you for the info, very helpful. So your satisfied with your flywheel and your clutch? You'd do the same thing again and pick the same clutch next time?

479 Posts
Definitly. I love the set up and to me it is a great performance gain. Just a shame that the tranny had to go. But on an N/A it should be fine. When the clutch goes in my base I will more then likely through the set up in that too. Still debating how far I'm going to mod the little SOHC beast.

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So your thinking of throwing a stage 3 on your base?

479 Posts
Yeah I'm thinking about putting it in my base but all depends on what I'm going to end up doing to it. Thinking about a SOHC turbo kit or something. Who knows. Still trying to get my TT ready for racing season next year so we will have to see. And Tuan, everyone knows that Hans doesn't drive like a grandma, if he did his cars would still be running :p . And sorry but shifting at 3500 is just sad. I've seen grandma's drive faster then that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts