Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive the 3kgt pretty hard. I was wondering if taking it to 6,000 or 6500 rpm's almost every day is such a bad thing for my engine or auto tranny? If they wanted to restrict us to 6,000 rpms they would have, no?

So is it such a bad thing to drive fairly hard? :D

·
Head of Society of Bob
3,889 Posts
A car is like any other mechanical device. The harder you push it, the faster it will wear out. This doesn't mean you can't have fun with your car, just that you shouldn't push the car to its limits all the time and expect it to last as long as someone who drives conservatively.

Also, wear on the engine doesn't have a cutoff point. It's not that everything under 7300rpm is ok, and everything above it isn't. The engine gets worn at all rpm's, but the higher ones tend to do more wear.

Just figure our how long you want your car to last, and then drive accordingly. I hope you don't beat it into the ground though.

·
Large Member
6,163 Posts
well, it won't cause any problems short term.. unless there is something wrong with your engine that you are unaware of..

but, over time.. you're engine will break down easier/faster with all that abuse..

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car has 197,000 miles and only 37,000 on the new engine and tranny...so I am hoping it will last at least until 250000.

EDIT: SILVERBULLET: you like the unorthodox pulley you have? I am considering one.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Each part in the engine has its own limit.

You can some of the limits all of the time, or you push all of the limits some of the time, but you can't push all of the limits all of the time.

- Brad
92 Pearl White R/T

·
Registered
31 Posts
I always drive the living piss out of my car and have ever since I got it. I've experienced zero problems and will continue to drive it like it'll be gone tomarrow. The engine is only good for so long, if something breaks then it'll be upgraded,I see no loss!

·
Spd Kills your bank acc.
1,151 Posts
like most of the others said, Drive your car on how you like it. If you love your car don't beat it up because it will last longer. If you hate your car. drive it like it's a piece of shit, and it will break down and you will fortunatly have to buy a new car. just look at it this way.
Race drivers go throught about 4 engines a year(maye more) Old people's cars last to the second generation where then it gets fucked up.

Joe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Such harsh words coming from someone whop doesn't even know me! In all actuallity, I pay for every penny, have and always will. You must be upset for some reason. Don't hate, I've had two of these cars upon everyother noone has ever helpped me put a dime into any. I work me arse off to get the money needed, if you saw my car you'd appritiate it. Your big words come....... then again thats all you are.... on a forum, keep it nice I have done no wrong.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mechanically my car is sound, I have had my sl for a year and a half. Raced it stop light to stop light, I drive it fast and hard everytime I put my foot in it. I keep very good car of my car don't think I treat her like a pos, cuz I don't I drive her hard because thats the way I drive. So long as you keep routine maintinence you can drive that way I just might spend more on a tune up than you would if you pussy foot a rocket like a Mits.

·
Spd Kills your bank acc.
1,151 Posts
Just becaue you pay more for a tune up doesn't mean your car is in the same condition as a "pussy footer", i'm not telling you how to drive your car. i'm just statin that it does "beat up" on the car itself from, brakes, tires, shocks, pulleys, and internals plus a whole lot more.

-Joe

·
Registered
447 Posts
MadMits said:
Such harsh words coming from someone whop doesn't even know me! In all actuallity, I pay for every penny, have and always will. You must be upset for some reason. Don't hate, I've had two of these cars upon everyother noone has ever helpped me put a dime into any. I work me arse off to get the money needed, if you saw my car you'd appritiate it. Your big words come....... then again thats all you are.... on a forum, keep it nice I have done no wrong.
Listen, no need to get so sensitive, I probably should have added a smiley at the end of my statement. I dont know you, but your statement was reflective of one of those people who mistreat their car because there are virtually no consequences to their actions. If im wrong then I appoligize, but Im sure if u re-read your initial statement, then you could understand my first impression.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.