Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the 99 3000GT they have a garage door opener built into the map light thing. They also had it somewhere in the spyders I believe.

My question is this. Is the actual computer in the dome light or is it hard wired into the computer? If it's just part of the piece at the top could I just wire it up or would there be anything else I would have to do?

-Jeff

·
I'll Never Grow Up!
1,073 Posts
I wish I knew

I'll be honest with ya, Jeff. I don't know for sure - but my opinion is that the unit is self contained in the head console. The procedure for programming it involves selecting one of the channels (there are three) and operating your existing device in proximity of the console so that the transmission can be "learned". The learned transmision is emitted from the head console. I would have to wonder what would have been wired remotely other than power - considering the small circuitry required for the function.
The unit is like many other "Homelink" units used as OEM.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well...I may check and see the cost of the piece. I bet its pretty expensive but I plan on using the garage more this winter so it may be worth it.

-Jeff

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Darktrail, are you thinking about adding the garage unit to a pre-99 model? If so and you end up doing it, let me know how much it cost and how difficult it was. I was trying to think of a way to hide my remote. Thanks

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the 99's came with it. In the dome light Chad's 99 SL had 3 buttons. So it could have 3 switches so i thought that was neat. I don't like keeping track of my opener. I'll see what the responses are if they sound good Ill get one take pics and install processes and figure it out.

On the Spyders, im not sure where its located probably near the cent console somewhere.

-Jeff

·
Registered
750 Posts
ITs fairly easy to make your own one of these......just take apart a normal remote and wire a remote push button to it and mount the button where ever you like i mounted mine on top of the steering column and then hid the main unit in the steering column.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might do that but my parents may not like me taking there remote apart :)
If I was going to do that I would make it either Below the ECS button or next to the rear wiper button.

-Jeff

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,850 Posts
WARNING, WARNING, WARNING.....

The "homelink" unit in my 95 Spyder will not work with the new "rolling code" garage door technology.

I think I read somewhere that they had a fix for that problem, but Im not sure.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

*Luckily, my garage controllers are from the pre-95 era.

Bob.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Last trip back to Canada, I took with me a passenger-side sunvisor for my friend's 1999 Corvette. It had this garage-door opener feature on it, and some kind of house lights-on as well. Three buttons all told.

Can't remember if it was aftermarket, or made by Chevy. Cost, if I recall, was around $US 100.

So, yes, the garage door opener is entirely self-contained within the visor.

·
I'll Never Grow Up!
1,073 Posts
Hey Bob - There is a fix

My new 01 Grand Cherokee has "Homelink" and last night whilst reading the manual (very unAmerican), I read the procedure for the rolling code issue. It involves programming from the Opener motor unit itself.

Four of my last five cars (96 Grnd Cherokee, 99 SL, 99 VR-4) have all had "Homelink" units. 02 Civic gets to keep the real opener on board. But ut sleeps outside alot anyway:D

·
Ultra Member
4,294 Posts
BOB,
I know you had good taste :D Another Jeep owner amongst the throngs of 3S owners :p ... on my 96 Limited, the 3-button visor garage door opener was available and usually involved pressing the remote after pressing a visor btton and wait for the flickering light. Then .. .voila .... instant garage door opener setup.

·
Ex-Owner
1,284 Posts
hmmm... the three button ones probably can put up 3 seperate doors. i know this because i have a 3-button that works my 3 doors. (and my job in the summer is putting up garage doors :)) i got a little key-chain remote, its cool, works all 3 doors.

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
omnip_1 said:
this feature is on the 97s vr-4s as well.
Yep, I have it. I believe that it is an option in the 97-99 3000GTs... In the Spyders as well.

·
I'm HISPANIC dammit!
1,783 Posts
Not on the base. I had it in my eclipse GS, but my GT got skimped.

·
I'll Never Grow Up!
1,073 Posts
Standard Equipment

On '99 SL and '99 VR-4

·
I'm HISPANIC dammit!
1,783 Posts

·
I'll Never Grow Up!
1,073 Posts
Hey Marvin