Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the first gen RTs, how is the turn signal lens colored black? Is it similar to the 2nd gen 3000 headlights where it's a piece of plastic inside the housing? My reason for this is I was wondering if it would be possible to disassemble one and paint it body color from the inside and not mess up the turn signal or snake eye lenses.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
A helluva lot easier than unglueing and then trying to reglue the orange turn signal and clear snake eye lens, just cover them with masking tape, use an exacto knife to trim around the lensesx and then spray or brush your paint on. That's how I did part of my underhood detailing (pictures coming I promise). And it'd be a LOT easier than removing the lenses...

I think I know what you're talking about. I know a guy with a white TT that when he bought it already had the black part around teh lenses painted white to match the body and also the pop-up covers painted white. So everything was white except the orange lense and snake eye lens.

EricB

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Hey Gate, I'm a little confused as to what part your referring to...? The turn signal is orange plastic. The snake eye lens is clear plastic. The plastic housing that holds both pieces is black plastic. The lenses are glued in. There's nothing to paint the inside of. The headlight/turnsignal/flasherwindow assembly on the R/T and TT is completely different from all other models.

What is it you're trying to do?

EricB

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a long story as to what I'm trying to do, but in a nutshell I want to take an RT corner lens and paint it body color. According to your description, it looks like I could unglue the turn signal and flasher lenses and just paint the black housing. I got stuck next to an RT on the freeway this morning and guess thats how it would work. Thanks.

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right on Eric. I did my intake plenum in a similar manner. Have you got any pictures of this guys RT? I'd like to see how it looks before I commit to it. I'll probably just have the corners done when I get the whole car repainted. I've got my own batch of pictures comming as well.

[This message has been edited by Gatecrasher (edited December 07, 1999).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts